Had to put Samantha down; Now Bubba

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Had to put Samantha down; Now Bubba

Post by Tom_H »

Russ,

Sorry for your loss. Pets become real members of our families and losing them is hard.

Tom
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I know it's rough. I had to put down my chocolate lab, Cocoa, last September. It was rough, but it helped having a little pug/dachshund cross. My wife took it particularly hard, but we now have a Doberman that is totally goofy yet beautiful that my wife adores. My advice is to rescue a dog; they are so full of love that it can't help but put a smile on your face.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Lumbergh21 wrote:My advice is to rescue a dog; they are so full of love that it can't help but put a smile on your face.
I've been following this site for 5 years and will probably be where I get my next lab: http://www.labrescue.org/

I'm still going to wait awhile. Not having a Lab has made me a better waterfowler. I don't take stupid shots that might sail the bird into the tules, which is why the dog is great to find them. It's also fun to see the dog work.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I have a half Chocolate Lab/half German Shorthair Pointer. He both fetches and points and follows about 20 verbal commands very well. He will sit, staring at a meal for half an hour waiting for the command to eat. He's a very smart and affectionate dog. He is 43 lb., significantly smaller than a typical lab.

Pictures
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm feeling peckish for a Yellow lab this time. That will complete all the colors. I like female dogs better, of course spayed. Samantha never ran away and was completely under voice control, even when Bubba would run through an open gate and trundle about a mile down the road, Sam looked back at me and waited for a command. I said, "find Bubba" and she was off.

43 does seem less weight than labs are carrying now. I got Sam to stay at about 69lbs.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Had to put Samantha down; Now Bubba; now Vinny

Post by rlown »

Well then. This year just keeps getting stranger. Had to put my Wife's horse Vinny down yesterday. 33 years was a good run. Rear legs just wouldn't work anymore.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Oh man. that's really rough Russ. So sorry for your loss. I have to say, I didn't know a horse could live 33 years, that is a good run...but certainly must feel like losing a family member. Condolences to the both of you.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thank you for your kind words. I doused him with two buckets of water trying to get him back up, and he just sat there. (hates water) Had my wife go out and watch and let her "call the ball." After he didn't kill me with the feet thrashing around moves, she said, "call the vet.".. It was quick and quiet, with the other horse, CR watching the whole time. Vinny had a good life. CR still wonders where his friend is.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Man, that's heartbreaking - even realizing he's had a good long life. And then CR, looking for his friend. Ouch.

I know it pales by comparison, but we've had a couple of cats that were companions for quite a while. About two months ago I hear one of them making an odd sound. So I step out the front door to see one of them hovering over the other which is obviously in serious distress and subsequently had to be euthanized. The remaining cat still looks for his buddy and hasn't been the same since.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It doesn't pale by comparison. They all know and remember, as do we.