Ducks in the Backcountry (Crosscountry)

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Ducks in the Backcountry (Crosscountry)

Post by quentinc »

I love the idea of a duck lover walking in an endless circle.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

[quote="markskor"
I detest them.
Been pondering the idea of constructing a large well-ducked circle...about a mile loop would do it.
Then go back later in the season and check if anybody is trapped inside.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

The reason Markskor doesn't actually do this is that he is lazier than I am.
mark.jpg
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote:The reason Markskor doesn't actually do this is that he is lazier than I am.
Mike
Looking pretty suave...think this was taken sunset at Lower Florence, off trail ~17 miles in...(lazy my ass!)
Interesting that the Glacier polish here was so pronounced, so smooth, if wet or a little sand, you could easily slide right off the rock I am reclining on...like glass...never seen polish that amazing.

Notice: Great looking, tan, and smiling... as usual.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think it is arrogant to either place ducks or remove them. I have placed ONE duck in the Sierra (ain't going to tell where it is so you duck-kickers cannot get rid of it). One example of a "good duck" I hope you guys do not kick down is the small one that marks the proper slot to go east-to-west over Pyra Queen Col. An example of a "bad duck" is the one that now marks where to go over the shoulder on the High Route between Blue Lakes and Twin Island Lakes. Nobody ever needed that until someone put it up.

The ultimate arrogance is to USE the duck yourself, then kick it down for others.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Daisy, funny you should mention the one between Twin Lakes and Blue Lake. If only there were just one! I saw several, marking different paths at various altitudes on that shoulder one could choose. And that's exactly why I can't stand ducks.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Daisy

What is arrogant about knocking down ducts that are scattered all over the place when there are multiple doable routes over easy terrain? Why doesn't the concept of "leave no trace" apply? I grant you there are a few places where a duck or two are approppriate but not where the route is obvious or there are multiple routes that will work.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Some ducks that appear frivilous in summer are very useful in winter when most of the terrain is under snow. I do not think I am the one who should judge what is needed or not. As for leave no trace, I could be more inclined if there were no trails, no trail signs, no bear boxes, no campgrounds. I do agree that there seems to be an "explosion" of ducks in the last 5 years or so. I think it is due to so much information on the internet. People who do not have, nor were mentored in wilderness ethics are now going out there. Often they see the wilderness as a playground for athletic pursuits and if ducks allow them to "go faster" they see nothing wrong with sticking up a bunch. Well placed ducks have always been part of mountaineering routes. In the past, these have been placed carefully. I agree that some ducks should stay; some should go. I just do not feel comfortable to be the one who decides. I DO take down ducks that mark someones favorite campsite. So, I too am inconsistent in my actions and thoughts.

This summer I did a 40-day route in the Wind River Mountains. On the Wind River Indian Reservation "ducks" more appropriately thought of as pyramids mark trails that are no longer maintained. These markers are 4 feet high and 3 feet square at the base. The trails have for all practical purposes grown over so without the ducks travel would be very difficult. Because of the ducks, at least some use of the route keeps the "trails" somewhat visible if you are a good tracker. Unfortunately a few people have started to place their own "ducks" which just complicates things and diverts enough travel that the original routes are often lost all together. In spite of the huge pyramid ducks, the Reservation is so much more a true wilderness than anything in the Sierra. I do not think ducks make or break the wilderness.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

On the way down the Shepard Pass trail yesterday, there were at least 100 ducks along the trail all along the Anvil Camp stretch. Some were as close at 10 feet to each other. This is along a trail that is plain as day.

](*,)

There aren't any there any more.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

quentinc wrote:There aren't any there any more.
And I, for one, would like to say THANK YOU for that! :)

Cheers!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;