What would you do?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: What would you do?

Post by SSSdave »

If you are working 6 days a week, I might understand your issue. However if you are a usual 9-5 m-f working person like most of us, I don't understand why you can't satisfy at least some of your Sierra passions on weekends like myriad of we others unless the high cost of gasoline is also a factor?

I've worked for a list of companies in Silicon Valley for decades. Each time I work for another company, my vacation time aka PTO starts at zero days, and as a new employee needing to prove to management a commitment to projects, usually have to commit to any unexpected weekend work during busy times. So every few years I like others are in a position of really not having any vacation days, thus only visit the Sierra on some weekends while I accumulate time off to be able to make longer trips on following years. Of course with only weekends it is a long several hour drive to the Sierra from the SF Bay Area, so one has to commit to that boring chore for relatively short inefficient rewards. Also I'm a winter alpine resort skier about Tahoe so during winters I am regularly driving up and back over two day weekends like many others. And some summer climber friends pretty much are often similar weekend warriors.