A Strange Encounter

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

A Strange Encounter

Post by gdurkee »

Campers:

So my assorted keen observations about critters and the HSHA lawsuit generated a phone call to me yesterday from one of the park's managers. It was a friendly conversation which was, essentially, a "heads up" that my powerful prose had reached higher levels of management and there was Concern. There was solemn nodding and chin rubbing. My caller was put in charge of talking to me. He didn't ask or even hint that I should stop, only reminded me to be careful that everyone here was aware I didn't in any way represent NPS in my assorted poesy.

In my posts here, I like to think I've made it clear that, although I bring my years of experience and knowledge to Eric's pleasant virtual back porch, I don't in any way represent NPS official policy or speak for the NPS (except when we've had a SAR and I've asked for information...).

So no real problem there.

What does have me a little concerned is that it appears someone here forwarded some of my posts to NPS with an apparent goal of getting me in trouble. Perhaps there are other explanations, but that does come to mind.

Now, I cheerfully sign my name to everything and have always backed what I say with actual references, wherever possible or relevant. I have never passed on privileged NPS information, though that really consists only of patient medical information and limited internal (to NPS) work documents. The nice thing about NPS and the 1st Amendment is that most everything is public domain and can (and should) be shared with the public where it helps advance understanding of an issue.

The manager who called me even read through a huge chunk of my years of postings here (and let that be a lesson to him!). He found nothing out of line and seemed mostly cool with my style and how I present information or arguments when using NPS sources.

But what concerns, annoys and comes close to pissing me off is that whoever tossed this stuff over the NPS transom didn't have the simple courtesy to write me first and ask if I was somehow representing NPS or express to me concern that could be cleared up by a simple question.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I'm seasonal and not even currently working. And, again, there's that pesky 1st Amendment.

So if anyone has a problem or concern, as noted, send a PM or email and I'll cheerfully anwser as best I can.

George

New Signature!!:
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A Strange Encounter

Post by markskor »

George,
Truly sorry your insightful, always well-written words here somehow brought down the almighty wrath of the NPS.
You always were - (hopefully will continue to be) a straight shooter here on HST, full of professional "inside" knowledge, reporting value from the thankless but enviable position of a backcountry "seasonal".

Is there any way we can help? Can we write to anyone NPS relating what an asset it is to have someone here who officially knows the difference between skat and shinola?

BTW, You mentioned that whoever called you had many of your past postings to draw from. Did these perhaps happen to include the famous "Ironing Ranger" picture? (That would explain a lot. You always knew that photo would come back to haunt you someday.)

Keep up the great work and... Thanks!
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
TahoeSarah
Topix Novice

Post by TahoeSarah »

I just hope it was a sincere "be careful" (not "be quiet"). And I hope anyone snooping around HST trying to earn a Big Brother merit badge can grow up and find something more productive to do with their time.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

This is rather alarming to hear/read about. George, I never considered your posts reflecting anything more than your own opinion, an opinion I have always deeply respected for its knowledge and insight even when my opinion may have differed.

There is obviously something going on within the bureaucratic leadership of the NPS in response to the HSHA lawsuit. Why all parties can't get together, sit around a table for a few hours and come up with something acceptable to all is baffling to me on a rational level. However, I know that human beings seem to be incapable of deciding first on what are their common goals and then trying to reconcile their differences. Instead they focus first on their differences and end up forgetting what we all share in common.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Ah yes. But we understand you George, and see both the thoughts and the man behind the thoughts.

Hopefully the NPS does as well.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Thanks all. Not a biggie but just wanted to make sure my assorted ramblings were understood as just me... . Also my buddies at NPS didn't really come down on me, though it's always attention getting to get a call like that.

It seemed unlikely to be a regular. Russ suggested it could be just someone searching HSHA and they find the discussion here.

Anyway, onward.

g.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Does this sound like Big Brother to anyone else?

Kind of scary don't cha think?

Of course the particulars of this are no big whoop....but the idea of being held accountable by the federal government for a conversation on the internet is pretty wild to me.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

"Ironing Ranger" picture? (That would explain a lot. You always knew that photo would come back to haunt you someday.)
Ahhhhhh! I forgot. That's it! (But, wait. I sent that to my new supervisor years ago. I somehow survived that...).

And, yes, the Big Brother aspect is a little concerning. As I said, it was handled well but I keep wondering if it needed to be handled at all...

g.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

loved that pic.. no socks drying behind you though..
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

sparky wrote:Does this sound like Big Brother to anyone else?

Kind of scary don't cha think?

Of course the particulars of this are no big whoop....but the idea of being held accountable by the federal government for a conversation on the internet is pretty wild to me.
Sorry, but this IS the internet, and public by definition. I hope everyone here understands that?

This is a public forum--albeit a very nice, polite, and supportive one.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963