Holidays Greetings!!!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Holidays Greetings!!!

Post by maverick »

To My Fellow HST Members,

Would like to wish everyone a safe, and joyous holiday season.
At this time I would like to thank all of you have contributed with your knowledge,
ideals, and photo's this past year making HST a very, very special place!
Here's to everyone going on at least 2-3 trips of the 20 you have planned in your head. :partyman:
Most importantly would like to wish everyone a prosperous, and even more importantly a
very healthy 2012!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Holidays Greetings!!!

Post by giantbrookie »

Holiday greetings to you and to all the HST folks. I guess we're a bit short of when the cabin fever stuff really gets going and we start posting all of our fantasies for 2012. In the meantime I figure we stoke the cabin fever and take the edge off of it with some good brew (as I am doing right now; combo right now is some Belgian/West Coast hybrid thingie with Miles playin in the background). Hope to bump into some of y'all somewhere off trail in the High Sierra in 2012.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Back at ya GB- we just got back from Fiji. Will be somewhere in the Sierra for sure in 2012, probably in Hermit Valley for a spell, then some kind of backpack romp out of Bishop area. BTW- trying to get a Field Forum going in Argentina for 2013, mostly petrology in an arc crustal section, not much structure.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

I recall reading some blurb about the possible field forum as a part of GSA 125th actitivities--I'm a part of this because I'm chairing the 2013 Cordilleran meeting in Fresno--I will try to bring a much more international flavor to this meeting. Among many other highlights, this will feature the first multiday Franciscan/CRO trip I've done with overnight in downtown O-town a few doors down from the Trappist. I recall reading your blurb on the field forum. The Malbecs of Mendoza alone are pretty alluring.

The cabin fever here in Fresno has been a bit muted of late. This is mainly because our air quality the past few weeks has made this place look like I'm back in China--I can't see more than a few blocks, let alone to the high peaks. I escaped it for beautiful Bay Area air and weather during the Ernstfest (well timed field trip to Tiburon Peninsula) and AGU in early December, then again this Wednesday (28th) for a reunion of a basketball team I played on ca. 1976-1982. Before going to the reunion Wed. eve in Palo Alto, I did some mop up field work at El Cerrito quarry (needed some better photos for a paper), and dropped a lot of money at the fabled Ledgers Liquors in Berkeley (one of the greatest, if not the greatest, beer stores in western North America). Judy and I now have some choices as to how to ring in the New Year (will likely be a certain holiday Belgian beer that is stronger than the average sparkling wine). I am (back in Fresno) currently sipping on La Rulles' Cuvee Meilleurs Vouex. This is best described as a Belgian brown IPA--highly accomplished. This is giving me fuel to go through a draft of a master's thesis I've been waiting to receive for a long time.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;