fedak wrote:Rob, Thats a good picture, decent hi-res photos of poison oak are hard to find online.
Never been particularity susceptible to the stuff myself (knock on wood) and heaven knows I've crawled through enough of it.
Something to be careful about is that sensitivity to the stuff commonly increases the more you are exposed to it (like many allergens). As an undergraduate (more years ago than I care to count) I was impervious to poison oak's effects. Given that geologists, including geology students taking field classes commonly have to deal with this stuff, I found this a big advantage in that I was willing to get to rocks that other students didn't dare go near. The lack of sensitivity crashed in a big way the year after I graduated. I was doing field work in San Francisco in some open space near Laguna Honda hospital (yes there are areas with lots of poison oak in the City). It was winter or fall and all the leaves were off of the branches. I recognized the branches as poison oak but I didn't care--after all I was impervious, right? Some of the branches scratched my skin, including my face. Within a couple of days I was a royal mess.