People Place or Fish

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: People Place or Fish

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Spectacular view is my first criteria. Campsite comfort or convience to water never makes up for a lack of view. I do not like woodsy campsites where I feel claustrophobic. I prefer high alpine settings. Often I even carry water up to a mile to camp on top of a mountain or a site with a killer view. I also prefer sites that get late or early sunshine where I can sit in camp and take photos of sunsets and sunrises. I am not fond of sites deep in a dark canyon. I like using a bivy sack because it allows me to camp in the most absurdly tiny spots with great views.

Other people can either add to the ambiance or destroy my wilderness experience. I guess it is my "control freak" nature- if I find others where I intended to camp and they are agreeable, I do not mind, but if I first camp at an isolated spot and someone else comes along and plops down, I am not so keen on that. Both parties have to be in the mood to socialize. Inconsiderate people are never a good experience!
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Spectacular view is my first criteria. Campsite comfort or convience to water never makes up for a lack of view. I do not like woodsy campsites where I feel claustrophobic. I prefer high alpine settings. Often I even carry water up to a mile to camp on top of a mountain or a site with a killer view. I also prefer sites that get late or early sunshine where I can sit in camp and take photos of sunsets and sunrises. I am not fond of sites deep in a dark canyon. I like using a bivy sack because it allows me to camp in the most absurdly tiny spots with great views.
I feel the exact same way...I dont like woody settings or narrow canyons.I have to have expansive views.Besides too many people,I never camp in campgrounds because they usually have tons of trees around the campsite.Too each their own i guess!
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Each to his own is a really good comment. I always knew that as a backpacker I was not "normal" and that's just the way it is. I like campsites different from either of you. That's what makes us unique and individuals. I celebrate diversity, but being a limited human, I have to admit that I am more comfortable with people not too different from me.
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

For me it is all about the solitude. Living in a heavily populated area and working a high-stress job that involves dealing with all kinds of people getting out with my brother (who I only see a couple times a year since he moved west) and finding solitude is tonic for my soul.