Home to the Mountains!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Home to the Mountains!

Post by Hetchy »

Photo-0001.jpg
I have been working like a slave since returning to the "real" world after my Appalachian Trail thru hike.
Thus I have secured a studio in the redwood forest in Ben Lomond California!
Big Basin, Castle Rock, Henry Cowell, and the open space preserves of the Santa Cruz mountains are now in my back yard.
Yes.. I am going home to the mountains once more.
I have leanred something about myself. it is that: I can tolerate the ridiculous demands of secondary aims in life, provided i have wilderness to come home to.
I am a very lucky man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Home to the Mountains!

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Hey, after all those miles, you really deserve a home in the mountains! So glad you found it. Good luck on coming back to "civilization". I hope this does not mean that you are quitting long through-hikes. What is the next "big trip"?
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Welcome back, Hetchy!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Ben Lomond is in a great area - very jealous!

Next time I'm over to visit my friends in Santa Cruz maybe we can go hike Skyline to Sea.
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

Thanks everyone! I just unpacked and set up my computer. It's 80 degrees and i have every window open in the place as well as all three doors!
Don't worry.. my long distance hiking days are not over.
The next step is unclear to me at this point. There are a lot of awesome trails out there.
I really miss the Sierra though. I have been hiking everywhere else in the country since 2009.
Anyhow, i have to stack up some cash for the next adventure and it seems like a good idea to find a place to "winter up".
I suspect my wanderlust will haunt me into cashing everything in once again.
I sure do wonder what the rest of the Continental divide from Waterton to the Yukon would be like.
Of course there is always Alaska.. I have heard they have a coupkle of mountains up there too. :D
Right now the crickets are singing outside amongst the redwoods.. life is sooo good! :bear:
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Hetchy wrote:Don't worry.. my long distance hiking days are not over.
Pfft... As if we were 'worried' about THAT. :rolleyes:

I'd like to throw in my own solicitation for a meet up next time I'm headed in the direction of SC. Used to work for David Bruce Winery on Bear Creek Rd back in the late 90's - the only 'commute' I'll likely ever miss. At the very least, I want to see for myself some of the custom gear you've concocted, and hear tall tales from your long distance journeys. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

That would be awesome! You used to work at the David Bruce winery up on bear Creek road as i recall. I am sure you understand why i wanted to live in this area, for however long it lasts.
Outside the Sierra, the Santa Cruz mountains still have something magical for me. If I were to win the lottery i would buy a big chunk of land here... Nah.. I would hike the rest of my days. :D
Be sure to look me up when you are out this way again. You can laugh at all my grubby thru hiker gear! I have also been known to drink beer occasionally.. and Henflings Bar or the Tyrolean Pub IS only 1 mile away :partyman: :drinkers: :rock: :yummy: :littledevil:
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hey Hetchy,
I thought you hit the lottery, because of all the time you can take off. Keep hiking and we sure enjoy your reports. Be safe.
Don