Like you needed another reason to carry a map...

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Like you needed another reason to carry a map...

Post by neil d »

Funny to read all the curmudgeonly posts on this topic...turns out I'm a curmudgeon too! I bought one of the original eTrex Vista GPS units way back when, and aside from some geocaching circa 1998, it's been sitting in a gear box ever since. The printed map tells all. Although it's heresy to say so, I also agree that in most of the Sierra, a compass is superfluous.

I just wish it was easier to get my hands on 7.5' quads. In a former life I worked at the USGS in Menlo Park, and their map store had nearly every California/Nevada/Oregon topo in stock. Even the Berkeley REI had most of the popular ones back then. You just can't beat the detail of 40-foot contours.

Now I rely heavily on Harrison maps and the like, which are also quite good. I do love the waterproof, tear-proof materials.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

The only real input I have to add to this discussion is, that a recreational GPS unit circa 1998 did not/is not going to provide you the level of accuracy that today's units do. Quite likely many of you already know this, but it's worth mention just the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_ ... ailability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also the issues of constant change in constellations (new birds, lost birds, etc.) and loss of firmware support to properly connect to current constellations that for older units usually affects accuracy or the ability to even fix.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Eric,

That is totally true. My 94 Garmin xl 12 won't even link anymore, but on the boat, it was awesome. My Garmin Rino has been stellar and lasts a full week on it's battery pack, and then there is the spare alkaline pack. Never needed the spare.

What it really comes down to is "who cares!". You go with what your comfortable with based on your experience. I sometimes do just map, sometimes just GPS. And yet I somehow manage to drag myself back here.

Plus, my GPS has the radio, compass, and games :o no, I've never played the games. Maybe if it rains/or snows on me this time.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

I use both maps and GPS. Just depends on the nature of the trip which one or both I chose to go with.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix