The way we were... | High Sierra Topix  

The way we were...

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

Re: The way we were...

Postby hikerchick395 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:01 am

All of these photos make me smile! :)

This one is not quite so old but it was already on my computer...

First time up Mount Whitney...Oct 1 1980...only 7 people, including us, on the summit all day

(By the way, Sierra cups are still great to make instant cheesecake in)
Attachments
Summit toast.jpg

hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby Mike McGuire » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:52 am

After making it on the South Buttress of Denali, 1973

Mike
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Postby Ozark Flip » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Hilarious stuff here. Thanks for the look back in time.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Postby BSquared » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:00 pm

hikerchick395 wrote:This one is not quite so old but it was already on my computer...

First time up Mount Whitney...Oct 1 1980...only 7 people, including us, on the summit all day

(By the way, Sierra cups are still great to make instant cheesecake in)

Actually my Cathedral picture is also from 1980, probably July. Egad, that was 31 years ago!! :confused:
—B²
BSquared
Founding Member

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby Wandering Daisy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:39 pm

This was my first year climbing when I was in High School. I am the second from left, with the gray wool stocking cap. This was a transition- some of us were still in the classic knickers, some had gone to long pants. We all had wood shaft ice axes, canvas backpacks and wool clothing. This was Labor Day, 1965, Lake of the Hanging Glaciers, Selkirks, BC, Canada.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby Troutdog 59 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:59 am

OK I'll join in. Two shots of two phases of my backpacking advetures.

1st. Mosquito Flat Trailhead in 1976 ( :eek: :D ).

2nd. Muriel lake in 1993 in the HB with my wife deb with son Josh at 2.5 years.

With the help of others, we did several trips with Josh in tow until he was 3.5, when he just was too big to carry any longer. My pack may look big, but Deb had the much more difficult load as it weighed more than one would think (that storage area underneath was packed so tight you couldnt hammer in a buttered needle :eek: ) and her load shifted around and talked back :nod:

Those early trips had an effect on Josh as he is now the adventurous baclpacker of the family at 21 years. :) :nod: :) :nod: .
If you stand in the light, you get the feel of the night, and the music that plays in your ear......
In your mind you can hear, a voice so sweet and clear, and the music that plays in your head......
As it flows up from the ground, taking all that hear the sound, close your eyes, it’s about to begin.

R. Trower
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Postby hikerchick395 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:47 am

In honor of this late snow year...

Barret Lakes August 1983
Attachments
Barrett  1983.jpg
Barrett 1983.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 610 times
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Postby Cross Country » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:04 pm

[saint] Diane just below Reflection. The day before we had come from Longly Pass. What a shame we didn't have a camera on this trip (July 1974). A kindly backpacker took this picture and mailed it to us. If he's alive he's over 80, more like 90. I know I look like a cradle robber but Diane is 22 years old here. Once she was helping me at my school (where I was a teacher) and she was mistaken for an 8th grader.
Attachments
Me n Di at Reflc.jpg
Last edited by Cross Country on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby Ozark Flip » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:13 am

Bitchin' photos you all.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Postby vandman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:14 am

nice boots you've got on there cross country!
vandman
Topix Regular

Postby gcj » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Wow! So many bodacious responses! I'm a little relieved to see that I'm not the only geezer on this board... but, 'old' is the 'new young', right? :D

I found another lost photo from back in the day. This one really made my wife laugh. (We didn't meet until the nineties when I was clean cut, clean shaven and a little heavier.)

GordonCloudsRest.jpg
On Cloud's Rest during day hike from Camp Curry. November, 1978
gcj
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Troutdog 59 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:10 pm

hikerchick395 wrote:All of these photos make me smile! :)

Me too HC 395!!!! And while its really not all that surprising, I find it amusing that so many of us where in similar locations near the same time.

Vandman, I think we may have met briefly back in June of 77 :eek: as I too was in the area. I'm actually being serious, because of the pic of your buds van. I think you guys gave me, my brother Jim, my friend Glen, and our Samoyed dog Fuzzy a ride from Shaver to Fresno (included Fuzzy as we were pretty unremarkable and easily forgotten, but how many backpacking samoyeds does one see :D ). It could be a coincidence, but damn if that van doesnt look like the one we got a ride in and damn if whoever it was didnt give us a PBR beer and I think you had Guiness as well !!! Could be mistaken, but I'm kinda doubting it!!!

We had hiked out of Bear Creek and came down to find our car wouldnt start. We tried all measures to get it going, but they all failed. We decided to hitch rides back to our place in So Cal and come back with my car with parts and a new battery to repair it. We ended up renting a tow hitch a pulling it back. It was still a great adventure!!!

Talk about a different snow year. 77 was a drought year and we camped at Three Isand Lake on 6/23 (my birthday) at about 10,500'. I recall only a few small snow drifts along the way.
If you stand in the light, you get the feel of the night, and the music that plays in your ear......
In your mind you can hear, a voice so sweet and clear, and the music that plays in your head......
As it flows up from the ground, taking all that hear the sound, close your eyes, it’s about to begin.

R. Trower
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

PreviousNext

Return to The Campfire