The way we were...

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The way we were...

Post by LMBSGV »

As another geezer, I love this thread. It was fun searching through old photos. Since I took most of the family photos back then, there are almost none of me, but lots of great ones of my wife many of which I had forgotten about. Here's one I found of me in the Minarets in 1981.
LB-Minarets-1981.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Here's a photo my brother Mike took of me as I begin the swim through Muir Gorge. I'm wearing Levis cutoffs, tennis shoes, no socks, and an Alpine day pack. I carried my camera and snacks wrapped in a garbage bag. Mike snapped this photo and joined me on an eerie float through the gorge which for a very short stretch was a dark steep slot. The water was cold, but tolerable. 1976 was a drought year, so the water was low. Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, Yosemite.
van swimming muir gorge 197672.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Mather Pass, July 1989 during my second JMT hike

before anyone knew what micro spikes were :unibrow: , descending from Monte Rotondo, island of Corsica, 1984

staying warm, somewhere off trail near VVR and lake T Edison, after a bear woke me up, July 1989

Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Back when long hair was in, before short hair was in before long hair was in again. What's in now?
I could always eat lots of fish!

Kid Lakes 1974. The fish were larger in 2003.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by hikerchick395 »

Here's an oldie I came across...1960 campsite on Rock Creek
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Two photos from 1969. Wind River Mountains. I did not get to the Sierra until the mid-1990's.

markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

WD,
Nice to see that you went ultralight way back then...ouch!
BTW, Is that an old squeaky Kelty under that hat?
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

To be fair, that was not my normal load. A student got sick that day so I had to carry his sleeping bag on top of my pack.

Yes that is a Kelty. Here is something you can do with a Kelty that you cannot do with today's internal frame packs-- covert it to a baby carrier. Both my kids got to ride in that Kelty!

1975- my oldest daughter on a 2 week trip in the Tetons
1977- my younger daughter. By this time with 2 kids we had horsepackers take in our supplies.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks for posting the Kelty baby carrier photos. I remember fondly using mine. My son had a propensity for leaning out to get a better view and since he rode so high in the pack, it made for interesting hiking. Somewhere there's some Kodachromes of me carrying my son on his first backpacking trip, but I don't know when I'll get around to digging them out.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I converted my standard Kelty to accomdate my kids. First I had a friend weld an extra bar onto the extension bar so that I could attach a canopy that I had sewn. The canopy had a top pocket for diapers and had mosquito netting. I suspended a seat in the top. As they got bigger I had to make a slit in the back so they could hang out there feet. I needed all that space under them for my own gear. My most trying trip was taking them both out for a weekend by myself, 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 years old, carrying everthing including the youngest! I must say that was not something I ever tried again! My problem was not the kids hanging out the back, but that they slept like logs while being packed. This really messed with bedtime when I was beat!