The way we were... | High Sierra Topix  

The way we were...

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

The way we were...

Postby gcj » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi
I saw this on another site and it looks like fun. I know you've got them... those old pictures of yourself climbing and hiking back in those early days. The day you wore bell bottoms up Half Dome, the peace symbol around your neck, the roach clip on your keychain. Here's you chance to show how you were before the hair started turning gray and the body parts started moving south :).

So, blow the dust off and start scanning.

Here's a couple that I found that I thought were lost forever (they were in a mis-labeled box for more than twenty years):
MeGM.jpg
My first Sierra summit: Goat Mtn. 1975. Note the ancient day pack and the Sierra Club cup.
MeKG.jpg
Near Kaweah Gap on the High Sierra Trail Spring, 1977.

gcj
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The way we were...

Postby mokelumnekid » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Hah- I guess the theme is 'flying your freak flag' eh?
dard-cone.jpg
About 1969

Not that radical except for the time ('68 or '69) and place I guess. Many will recognize the (volcanic) peak in the back.

Here's another a few years later, north fork Stanislaus (gotta click on it to see anything):
n-fk-stan.jpg
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby giantbrookie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:32 am

I'm surprised we haven't had more people post on this. Attached are two photos from September 1975 on Mt Lyell: one at the 'schrund and one on the summit.
Attachments
MtLyell1975ps.jpg
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Postby freestone » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:37 pm

GB... Is that a Sierra Cup I see hanging from your belt? Just another way of dating ourselves, eh?
freestone
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Postby giantbrookie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:48 pm

freestone wrote:GB... Is that a Sierra Cup I see hanging from your belt? Just another way of dating ourselves, eh?
It sure is. I still carry one to this day.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
giantbrookie

Postby vandman » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:31 am

On top of North Palisade. July 1979. My freshman year at SF State. My girlfriend dropped me off at Florence Lake and I hiked to Barrett Lakes in 2 days and met up with a friend. I'm wearing my Vasque Blister Makers. Terrible boots.
n.palisade.selfport.197972.jpg
vandman
Topix Regular

Postby mokelumnekid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Great climb in blue jeans- and agreed about those P-O-S boots. I still have mine- what are they about 5 pounds each? I haven't touched them since about 1980.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Postby gcj » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Must have just missed you, Vandman. I was on that summit in Aug. 1979. Wearing blue jeans also, I might add (what else?). I'm just glad they weren't bell bottoms. Probably not good with crampons and such. :)
gcj
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby vandman » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:41 am

Here's an old Kodachrome taken in June 1977 at Florence Lake. I'd Just graduated from High School. My friend Mitch and I are enjoying a post adventure beer(PBR--back when PBR was uncool) after 10 days of snow, sleet and rain on the Goddard Pendant. We hiked up the South Fork of the San Joaquin, and climbed Goddard. Check out Mitch's wood panelled Dodge van.
van and mitch florence lake 197772.jpg
vandman
Topix Regular

Postby BSquared » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:42 am

Here I am being hauled up the southeast buttress of Cathedral Peak in 1980 by a [real] climber friend. Great climb, but I was scared sh*tless for the first half hour or so... I think the technical name for the technique illustrated here is called "hanging on for dear life."
Attachments
Img003 Reduced.jpg
Cathedral Peak 1980
Last edited by BSquared on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
—B²
BSquared
Founding Member

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby mokelumnekid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Bsq-and no wonder you are gripped, look at those SHOES! Another victim of big boots! We should start a support group. Actually given how now that climb is such a zoo, it must have been novel back then. One of favorite memories of my wife is watching her dance up the SE buttress of Cathedral in the early '90's when we had first met and I realized I had finally found a partner who could kick my a-s and teach me technique. Still true that.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Postby vandman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:55 am

That is a great shot B2! You do look scared. Classic!
vandman
Topix Regular

Next

Return to The Campfire