Get Pam to the top of Half Dome

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Get Pam to the top of Half Dome

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have done the route four times- only once with the cables up, three times in the Spring before they were up. Half Dome and Cloud's Rest each have their own character and I like both. I like that Half Dome is accessible. The non-technical climbing friends I have taken up there really enjoyed it. We avoided crowdes by timing- did it a 7AM when the cables were up. No crowds. I agree that it is a management problem. The answer is not to take down the cables. It is unfortunate that it has become simply an item on someones "tick list". And it is very unfortunate that scalpers have undermined the entire process of permitting which is a reasonable management tool to make the route safer. I cannot blame anyone for wanting to do it. For each person who had a pained look on their face, there was a person who was absoutely thrilled. I have also seen people on the route who had no business being there, were doing stupid things that actually endangered people below them. It is a difficult problem. I hope someone comes up with a good solution. In the mean time, I wish you the best luck to get Pam to the top.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

You can now get a permit the day before your trip! As of July 14, NPS will be issuing 50 permits each day for the next day.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Pam now has a pass! Thanks everyone for the suport!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

how did Pam get her pass?
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

Really enjoyed my second trip up Half Dome last week. It was even better sharing the experience with my daughter.

Never even saw any toilet paper.

Guess I'm not jaded enough. Glad I'm NotEvenCloseToBeingThere.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Quick follow up question:
Have Pam and her group ever finished the quest?
Mountainman who swims with trout