Snow on Memorial Day Weekend?!?!?! Yup!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Snow on Memorial Day Weekend?!?!?! Yup!

Post by SteveB »

Yup, cold front came in and dropped snow and hale all over the area! :) I headed down to Ebbett's Pass area, and got snowed on off-and-on all the way! From flurries in Washoe Valley (between Reno and Carson), to hale in Markleeville, to snow falling in Lake Alpine area! It was amazing! :D Even the normally dry Pinenut Range had a light dusting shortly after noon!

How was the weather in your areas? Snowy, didja get any snow in Mammoth this weekend?
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Yup, Mammoth got snow on Saturday. Roofs have a thin dusting this (Sunday) morning. It was a toasty 30 degrees as I was driving back from dinner at the Whoa Nellie. Think I'll head out to the Mono Craters area today for some short walks.

Yesterday, I finally hiked to the site of the 1974 Sierra Pacific Airlines Flight 802 crash in the Poleta area of Bishop. It was a gorgeous day in Bishop, but very windy. I had left the SD card for my camera in the laptop, so no photos... arrghhhh.

It's been awhile since Ive posted, because it's been awhile since I've been outdoors. Life definately threw a few screwballs my way the past several months, but things are getting back on track. I look forward to lots of hiking adventures this summer.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

It seems to me that about half the Memorial Day holidays involve cool or cold weather. I've had snow pellets on some bp trips and one trip it was nice all day, then about 5 in the afternoon a cloud came over and dumped on me. I was not set up in a good spot since the weather was supposed to be nice. I had to bring my ground cloth into the tent, and as I lay on my pad, I could put my arms out and they would float on the water running under my old Eureka tent.

The BMW motorcycle clubs used to come up here where I live for a rallye on the Memorial Day weekend but stopped because they would get some rain on the weekend. The first year that they moved it to Auburn, it rained there too.

Not too bad of a day on Saturday here, I had to replace the whole roof on my pump house from the top plate on up. It rained on me lightly some and even had some snow pellets at one time briefly. Gotter done though. Had the woodstove going all day with a little wood in it. On to working in the garden some today.
Piece of cake.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

We even had a trace of snow in Grant Grove in Kings Canyon NP. Low last night was 27. Brrrr. Kept all the happy campers hunkered down. That was good. ;)
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

A Happy Sunny Morning to everyone :D We woke up to on Saturday morning about two inches of snow here in Meyers..on the South Shore of Tahoe...it was all melted by the afternoon. It is a beautiful morning here, sunny, with a few clouds and about 35 degrees, getting back to that warm weather we had looks like starting Tuesday, Wednesday.

Steve..I heard Ebbetts Pass was open...how much snow is in the area?
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

madeintahoe wrote:Steve..I heard Ebbetts Pass was open...how much snow is in the area?
Coming up from the Markleeville side Hwy 4 is clear with no snow anywhere up to that little house near the aspen groves at the top. The aspens up there still haven't awakened yet like they have further below. Kinney Reservoir is almost completely frozen over still, and the usual turnoff's up at the top still have drifts of 3-5 feet, with some rising well above the top of the Jeep. I couldn't even find the PCT trailhead turnoff up there! ;) The west/south side looks to have gotten a heavier layer of snow this winter, because it's still quite heavy there. Hermit Valley is peeking out, but Mosquito Lakes is still completely covered: the couple little summer homes there have drifts up to the rooves still! I hit the most falling snow yesterday afternoon just above Lake Alpine!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I had 2 inches in my yard Saturday morning. I got up early and dressed, and quickly ran outside to knock the heavy wet snow off my maples, honeylocusts, and boxelder saplings in my yard before the sagging branches, just recently in full leaf, broke (I raised them from babies! :crybaby: ).

My wife's flower garden did not fare well.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Ranboze! We were at Whoa Nellie Deli Saturday night! I wonder if we passed each other??? I saw your pics last night. We were driving in the same area after we left the mountain! (:)

We got a good dusting at 8,100'. The dandelions were filled with snow. :(

Saturday it was freezing, windy, sheets of ice from top to bottom (SnowDude slid all the way down, trying to dig his edge in, and his hands got hot from the friction). :retard: So we left to check out some of the roads by Hwy 120. Again, we might have passed you!

The snow softened up Sun and Mon on Mammoth Mtn. Pics later.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sierra cyd
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierra cyd »

yup yup yup
We did a 3 day backpack out of Wawona (Yosemite) and it snowed (more like soft hail) on us at the ranger station while picking up the permit in the morning (elev 4,000) and again late that afternoon when we were almost at camp (~6000 ft). It got really cold, too. Once it blew through in the evening it seemed to warm up a little. It built up on the ground an inch or so at 6,000 ft, but disappeared quickly when the sun broke through. I was just glad it wasn't rain since we were still hiking and hadn't set up camp yet! The rest of the weekend, the weather was perfect.