The Backpacking Leash

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Backpacking Leash

Post by LMBSGV »

My wife and I did all our trips together until 1997 when she no longer wanted to deal with anything rougher than class 1 cross country. We still love to take backpacking trips together when we can. We also do a lot of short (one to three nights) car camping in the Sierra and redwoods or overnights at Point Reyes. I usually do one solo longer trip of a week to up to 10 days and possibly a short one early and/or late season. A lot depends on the work schedule and family obligations in terms of the shorter trips. In the early spring we sit down and have the “what are we going to do this summer” discussion and try to pinpoint actual dates for our trips together (we’re off to England next week where, along with tourist stuff we’re doing walking tours of the Yorkshire Dales and Hadrian’s Wall), my solo trip, and, now, the island we inherited with her sister’s family on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire (yes, we own an island - her grandfather bought it for $600 in the 1930s and it remained in the family; it’s where we got married). Whatever we decide, my solo trip(s) in the Sierra are sacrosanct.

We’re hoping that in a few years when we are semi-retired we can spend a lot more time in the Sierra (like more short solo trips by me and longer trips together) and finally get to places like Yellowstone, Glacier, Olympic, and Denali.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com