The hazards of solo hiking | High Sierra Topix  

The hazards of solo hiking

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

Re: The hazards of solo hiking

Postby dave54 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:58 am

I cannot recall any serious injury. Cuts and scrapes mostly. One time I was sick for 2 days, attributed to a suspect water source.

A friend broke an ankle once. He splinted himself up real secure, hobbled about a mile cross country to a trail, and made camp awaiting a samaritan to come by. One did, summoned help, and the story has a happy ending from there, although the ankle still bothers him after a long day of hiking.

Like others have posted, I tend to get real cautious when solo, and circuitously avoid stream crossings and rock scrambles I would not hesitate when with someone.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

dave54
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby RoguePhotonic » Sun May 08, 2011 2:17 pm

One time I did a complete flip at high speed and fell on a rock on my back

That reminds me of when I was climbing down the glacier on the East side of Mt. Ritter & Banner and I tripped and did a complete front flip into the snow. It did not hurt and I laughed more than anything.

On the way up Banner I was walking on a steep scree slope with it to my right side and slipped and rolled completely over to the left and onto my stomach before I hit the ground.
Last edited by RoguePhotonic on Sun May 08, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Cross Country » Sun May 08, 2011 3:56 pm

But true to this thread - were you solo?
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Postby RoguePhotonic » Sun May 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Yep. My dad was along on that trip but he stayed at camp while I climbed banner solo.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby calipidder » Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 pm

I think a lot of these injuries occur on so-called 'good' trail because we become more complacent when the terrain isn't as challenging as an off-trail route. I always seem to get what I call 'stupid feet' when I get close to a trailhead after a long hike. When I'm off trail or deep in the wilderness I tend to be more aware of where I am putting my feet, etc, since the consequences of a misstep can be so catastrophic. But I fall into this mode of laziness when I'm back on those last few miles of trail getting back to the trailhead and that's when i trip over roots, slide on wet rocks, or generally make stupid missteps. As Luke Skywalker once told the Emperor, "your overconfidence is your biggest weakness" and I think we all tend to fall into that overconfident comfort zone when we're on less challenging terrain.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Previous

Return to The Campfire