John Muir program - PBS

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

John Muir program - PBS

Post by DriveFly44 »

I'm sure it has been posted here but just a reminder that the John Muir program is on tonight at 9:00 on PBS. Thought some of you might be interested.

Ladd
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: John Muir program - PBS

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for the heads up.
njbeast
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by njbeast »

Great program. Didn't realize the extent of time Muir spent in Martinez. I still find it amazing that so few people ever venture beyond the valley floor. I was last in Yosemite this February on my annual birthday trip for some cross country skiing. I could not believe how warm it was...shorts and a pullover on the valley floor...in February...two years ago I had to put my vehicle in 4 wheel drive low for the first time ever to get out of the valley.

Every time I venture there I think of Muir and then back to the first natives...it must have been amazing. I spent some time with an Ohlone indian in the park who showed me how to knap flint and obsidian arrow heads as had his ancestors...pretty cool stuff.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I was surprised to see that they had kevlar canoes back when Muir visited Alaska! ;)

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

It was a nice program. But they left out or ignored a lot of facts that would have helped the narrative without taking any more time. Such as, Muir went to Canada to dodge the draft in the Civil War, the name of the family that helped him in Florida when he had malaria (the Hodgsons - Muir kept in touch and even visited them years later), he spent that first summer in the Sierra as a shepherd, James Hutchings hired him to run the mill in Yosemite and that he built his house below Yosemite Falls, Joseph LeConte Sr., was the geologist who first supported the glaciation theory, Louie told Muir to go to Alaska after their engagement, the campfire where Robert Underwood Johnson and Muir discussed making Yosemite a National Park was at Soda Springs in Tuolumne Meadows not on a river in a forest, the extent of the libelous and slanderous personal attacks by O'Shaughnessy and other Hetch Hetchy supporters, Marion Randall Parsons name as his secretary, and Muir dying in Los Angeles while visiting daughter Helen.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'm sorry I missed it, but it will probably be on again, but I do wonder why they left out
some of the important facts LMBSGV mentioned.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Good points LMBSGV. I had read about some of the facts you mentioned not being included or altered (think there was an article in the sf chronicle about it).

Anyway.....Mav, I got you covered. Click below to watch the program.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Drivefly44, but I see its coming on at 9:32 pm tonight, and Wed.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

oldranger wrote:I was surprised to see that they had kevlar canoes back when Muir visited Alaska! ;)

mike
hahah!! I made nearly the same comment to my wife!

Content = B
Production = C-
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Thanks for that link Drivefly44.