What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Desolation Wilderness, Eldorado NF

Post by FeetFirst »

FeetFirst wrote:The recreation.gov website is down "due to a lapse in federal government funding" and is where one would normally go to reserve permits for Desolation Wilderness, Eldorado NF (as well as many other NFs wilderness permits). I called the Eldorado NF Pacific Ranger District station to see about a same day permit, but received a recorded message saying they were closed due to federal govt. furloughs. Great. I'm one to follow the rules, but...

I'm going for it.
I've decided to not enter the Wilderness, since it does require a permit from the defunct feds. Alternatively, I'll enjoy some of the off-beaten areas not in the Wilderness. Maybe I'll go check out Government and Convict Meadows, from the Caples Creek/Silver Fork Trails, as an ironic location trip. I haven't been there for a couple of years anyways.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... &z=15&t=t4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Post by austex »

I'd say Coyote w/b open and fair game as you can go as a day user or normally overnight one does not need a wilderness permit. It's considered "dispersed camping" Wear orange!? Don't know if hunting season is still open.
phenocryst
Topix Acquainted

Post by phenocryst »

I drove to North and South Lake trailheads yesterday (fall color beautiful on South Lk road, past prime (no more red) at North Lk). Pretty safe to assume Coyote and similar roads will be open.

Campgrounds are closing today but dispersed camping is still ok. You need a fire permit for any open flame (stove, coleman lantern, etc.) These are available at CalFire offices; I heard on the radio that you could download a permit from the web so did a search for "download california fire permit." This took me to a USDA site where after answering a quiz you can download the permit form. I tried going to the site directly and it didn't work.. govt shut down. There are probably still fire restrictions in a lot of areas so best check ahead (CalFire office, local chamber of commerce or ?)

Which forum had info about no travel where permits are required? The last we have heard was that previously reserved permits were still valid. The part about having it in possession could be a little tricky if you can't pick it up, I guess...

I would go anyway. But that's just me.
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

I've read mention of laws protecting right to access national forest land, but cant find any actual links/bills to cite if stopped. For example, lobster divers can cross beaches that have curfews at night becaue they are guaranteed access to fish state waters... anybody know of a printable section of law we can carry with us?
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I have read in the Inyo Register that the roads through the national parks, and I am assuming this means Yosemite, are open but travelers are asked not to stop! I am wondering if cars parked overnight at trailheads, even in the national forests, will be ticketed or worse. With the weather channel now predicting snow for the sierra Wed/Thur, I may not get my one last little short backpack in.
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

phenocryst wrote: I talked to a guy who had tried to walk down to Devils Postpile but was met by a ranger who told him the monument was closed and he had to leave.
I bet that ranger felt like a real idiot. (or at least he should have)

How can you have an open forest and close a trail to one monument? What function does the government serve on that trail? I don't recall having someone hold my hand the last time I visited Devils Post pile nor did anyone carry my pack.

This is the type of arrogance that makes the Park Service an embarrassment
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

jessegooddog wrote:I have read in the Inyo Register that the roads through the national parks, and I am assuming this means Yosemite, are open but travelers are asked not to stop! I am wondering if cars parked overnight at trailheads, even in the national forests, will be ticketed or worse. With the weather channel now predicting snow for the sierra Wed/Thur, I may not get my one last little short backpack in.
I grow tired of hearing this stuff. go or don't. get stopped or don't. It's called a phone. you're all on it all the time. call the ranger station and if they don't answer, maybe you should go elsewhere.
Ken M
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ken M »

caddis wrote:
phenocryst wrote: I talked to a guy who had tried to walk down to Devils Postpile but was met by a ranger who told him the monument was closed and he had to leave.
I bet that ranger felt like a real idiot. (or at least he should have)

How can you have an open forest and close a trail to one monument? What function does the government serve on that trail? I don't recall having someone hold my hand the last time I visited Devils Post pile nor did anyone carry my pack.

This is the type of arrogance that makes the Park Service an embarrassment
Sorry Caddis, but that is massively inappropriate to blame people whose jobs are at risk for breaking the law, who are doing exactly what the leaders of this country, WHO YOU VOTED FOR, have required of them. The poor sap at ground level is not in a position (nor should they) to ignore the policy set by Congress. You don't like this, blame the people at fault, who made the decision to take us down this road.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

From Alpinist Magazine, "Climbers Respond to Government Shutdown"...

http://alpinist.com/doc/web13f/newswire ... rs-respond" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Guerilla-style" climbing. Love it! :rock:
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I'm concerned about ticketing. Has anyone encountered a general warning - say, "Any vehicle parked over-night past this sign may be ticketed"?