What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What does a govt shutdown mean for access to NF and NP?

Post by maverick »

Schmalz wrote:

I'm going to be on the east side for the next two weekends and was wondering if the
bathrooms at the trailheads will be open at least.
No, since their is no one to maintain/clean them. :\
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kutty
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by kutty »

I had plans on Sat to head to Desolation Wilderness, entering in at fallen leaf for 3 days of backcountry fishing. Any thoughts of if I should just go even though there is no way to get a permit?
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

maverick wrote:
Schmalz wrote:

I'm going to be on the east side for the next two weekends and was wondering if the
bathrooms at the trailheads will be open at least.
No, since their is no one to maintain/clean them. :\
Yeah, that's what I figured. Good thing I'm experienced with pooping in the woods! haha.

I wonder if this will thin out the crowds out there in the National Forest until things blow over. Could be nice for those of us that do go.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

kutty wrote:I had plans on Sat to head to Desolation Wilderness, entering in at fallen leaf for 3 days of backcountry fishing. Any thoughts of if I should just go even though there is no way to get a permit?
Hi and welcome to the forum. The road in is private property right up to the regular gate anyway, and even then, there are private buildings within the NF before you get to the wilderness area. Once you enter the wilderness area, trails branch off in several directions. If you live not too far away and getting turned back wouldn't be too much imposition, I would go for it. If you are coming from far away, could you have an alternate plan? There are a lot of other trails in the Tahoe area, and there is no way with furloughs that rangers are going to be patrolling all of them. You have the Freel Peak area, Mt. Rose, Echo, Meeks, Eagle Falls, trails out of Squaw and Alpine, Spooner, Donner, Hope Valley. If you get turned away at one location, there's always someqhere else. And then there's the lake itself with so many fun things to do. I lived there in the late 70s and weekdays in October are sublime with very few other visitors.
Last edited by Tom_H on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kutty
Topix Newbie

Post by kutty »

Tom_H wrote:
kutty wrote:I had plans on Sat to head to Desolation Wilderness, entering in at fallen leaf for 3 days of backcountry fishing. Any thoughts of if I should just go even though there is no way to get a permit?
Hi and welcome to the forum. The road in is private property right up to the regular gate anyway, and even then, there are private buildings within the NF before you get to the wilderness area. Once you enter the wilderness area, trails branch off in several directions. If you live not too far away and getting turned back wouldn't be too much imposition, I would go for it. If you are coming from far away, could you have an alternate plan? There are a lot of other trails in the Tahoe area, and there is no way with furloughs that rangers are going to be patrolling all of them. You have the Freel Peak area, Mt. Rose, Echo, Meeks, trails out of Squaw and Alpine, Spooner, Donner, Hope Valley. If you get turned away at one location, there's always someqhere else. And then there's the lake itself with so many fun things to do. I lived there in the late 70s and weekdays in October are sublime with very few other visitors.
I have about a 4 hour drive there - so its long enough of a drive. My plan was to hike in say 5-8 miles, setup camp, and give myself 2 days to dayhike and fish, maybe covering 3-5 miles to different lakes on the day hikes. So, it needs to have access to different lakes / streams and decent hiking. The area around Susie lake looks great, several lakes around there that can be done in a lazy manner and having fun. If I do get turned away I would likely head south, but Id rather not spend more than another hour driving somewhere else, otherwise the day is shot driving instead of hiking.

If anyone knows of another spot that would fit those requirements, let me know.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

First SAR to suffer the affects of the shutdown: http://www.businessinsider.com/governme ... ue-2013-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watch out, SAR may not be able to help or at least be delayed if you go hiking/climbing
into one of the National Parks.
Understand the risks, and plan accordingly!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

kutty wrote:
Tom_H wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum. The road in is private property right up to the regular gate anyway, and even then, there are private buildings within the NF before you get to the wilderness area. Once you enter the wilderness area, trails branch off in several directions. If you live not too far away and getting turned back wouldn't be too much imposition, I would go for it. If you are coming from far away, could you have an alternate plan? There are a lot of other trails in the Tahoe area, and there is no way with furloughs that rangers are going to be patrolling all of them. You have the Freel Peak area, Mt. Rose, Echo, Meeks, trails out of Squaw and Alpine, Spooner, Donner, Hope Valley. If you get turned away at one location, there's always someqhere else. And then there's the lake itself with so many fun things to do. I lived there in the late 70s and weekdays in October are sublime with very few other visitors.
I have about a 4 hour drive there - so its long enough of a drive. My plan was to hike in say 5-8 miles, setup camp, and give myself 2 days to dayhike and fish, maybe covering 3-5 miles to different lakes on the day hikes. So, it needs to have access to different lakes / streams and decent hiking. The area around Susie lake looks great, several lakes around there that can be done in a lazy manner and having fun. If I do get turned away I would likely head south, but Id rather not spend more than another hour driving somewhere else, otherwise the day is shot driving instead of hiking.

Maybe call the fires station by Fallen Leaf and ask them about access to the GLen Alpine TH and parking area. I bet you'd be fine though.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Kutty,

Welcome to HST!
According to this the roads should be open: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ltbmu/new ... RDB5437905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

kutty wrote:I have about a 4 hour drive there - so its long enough of a drive. My plan was to hike in say 5-8 miles, setup camp, and give myself 2 days to dayhike and fish, maybe covering 3-5 miles to different lakes on the day hikes. So, it needs to have access to different lakes / streams and decent hiking. The area around Susie lake looks great, several lakes around there that can be done in a lazy manner and having fun. If I do get turned away I would likely head south, but Id rather not spend more than another hour driving somewhere else, otherwise the day is shot driving instead of hiking.

Going in at Meeks Bay, up Meeks Creek, over Phipps Pass, down through the Velmas and out at Eagle Falls (Emerald Bay) is a possibility.
vitaminC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by vitaminC »

Inyo Forest Info (from another forum):
USFS managed campgrounds are closed or are being closed. Concession managed campgrounds on forest service land will close in the next 48 hours. Dispersed camping, however, is still allowed. Developed day use areas are closed. Trails are open to day use, however there is no overnight use or hiking allowed where a permit is required (e.g. Mt Whitney).
----------------
Lots of photos