When and where was your first Sierra cross country and solo

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

When and where was your first Sierra cross country and solo

Post by maverick »

My first cross country jaunt was with some adults over McGee Lakes Pass back in
1970 at the ripe old age of 10.
It was not to bad, but I remember Evolution Creek being much harder at the time, and
it was kind of scary because the water level was high, and moving very fast.
First solo was in Europe, but in the Sierra it was when I came back home in the
early 80's.
It was in 1983 when I got home after being deployed for 2 years in Japan, a trip to
Upper Mills Creek Lake, Lake Italy, down Second Recess, up to Laurel Lake, and
back out Mono Pass.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: When and where was your first Sierra cross country and solo

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I had been solo backpacking and off-trail traveling many years before I ever set foot in the Sierra. So I will answer this question, specific to the Sierra.

My first solo (on trails) was from Carson Pass down to Summit City Creek, with intentions of going on down to the Mokulmne River, but the water was too high to cross Summit City Creek. It was the summer after a very high snow year and there was the debris of a huge avalanche that actually went up the other side of the valley!

My first off-trail route was a climb of Mt Shasta. But if you want to only consider backpacks, my first major off-trail route was a 16-day solo trip from North Lake, over Lamark Col, through Evolution Basin, climb Mt Fisk, around Davis Lake (south side- guidebooks said you can't; but yes you can) to Martha Lake, climb Mt Goddard, into Ionian Basin, Enchanted Gorge-Goddard Creek (as a bivy/day-hike), over Black Giant Pass, down LeConte, into Dusy Basin, over Knapsack Col, Barret Lakes, Climb Mt Sill an out via Thunderbolt Pass-Bishop Pass to South Lake.

Now my first ever solo and off trail experience was 3 yrs old when I hauled my little red wagon to the empty forested lot next to my house and pretended I had a covered wagon.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

My first cross country was at the age of 15 with another 15 year old and was a spur of the moment trip to fish Mattie Lake.

My first solo trip wasn't until 18 years later, 1980, a couple of months after I "dropped out" to become a mountain bum. It started sometime around September 10 and concluded either the last day of September or 1st of October. My route was from T. Meadows to Hetch Hetchy and some of the time was on trails but a whole lot was off trail including Doe Lake, Slide Canyon, Rock Island Lake, Otter Lakes, Peninsula Lakes, Fawn Lake, Bear, Big Island, Bearup, and Edyth Lakes. It was truly the trip of a lifetime for me. I lost over 10lbs despite starting off with over 65 lbs. and only a fortuitous resupply saved me from losing a few lbs. more. I have been about halfway finished with a TR since last fall but it remains on the backburner. I'd like to find my slides and get them scanned, too, before I post. Maverick, don't hold your breath on this! ;)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

First solo was before the first cross country. I was 19 or so, spent the summer working in the Sierra and headed out of Yosemite into the North Rim trail. Good adventure.

Cross country? I don't even remember. Seems like I have been doing that since I started, in one way or another...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

My first x-country trip was in 1985. It was a trans-sierra trip from Courtwright Reservoir, over Hell-For-Sure pass to Martha Lk, then into Goddard Creek, then to Ionian Basin. Our plan was to go down Enchanted Gorge, but my dumb-@zz hiking buddy twisted his ankle nearly running across talus. He post-holed and the rock that gave way came to rest on his ankle. He was flown out the next day. Ranger Mortgensen was hiking in Ionian Basin on his day off and happened across our predicament within about an hour after it happened. We altered our plan (the remaining three of us) and headed over, what I believe is Solomon Pass (Just west of Mt. Solomon) to hit the JMT, down Leconte Canyon, then up to Dusy Basin and out South Lake.

My first solo trip was the 1986 July 4th weekend. I walked an over-nighter on the ridge route from Cone Pk to an exit point in the Julia Pfeiffer Burns area (looking for bigfoot) I wanted to hike with a view of the Pacific Ocean on my left and the Sierra Nevada on my right. Instead of surf n turf views, I had fog n smog.

My first Sierra solo was a couple of years ago. I went from Sabrina to Hungry Packer Lk, then day hiked up to Wallace-Haeckel col. I wanted to bag Mt. Haeckel, but there were 40 mph winds flying through the uppermost bowl, so I elected to turn back after hitting the col. I'm not much of a peak bagger, so it was no big deal.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

OR wrote "I'd like to find my slides and get them scanned, too, before I post.
Maverick, don't hold your breath on this!", just one of Rock Island, and of Doe for
the memories, my photo's of these was of the 1000's that accidentally go discarded.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mav,

that is a big order, While not discarded finding is tough!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

My 1st cross country trip was my first backpack in 1975. It wasnt intended that way. It was supposed to be a 3.5 mile loop on a trail to Jamison Lake and a few others in Plumas NF. When we got there, they had a Bubonic Plauge warning (no joking) at the trailhead. We had a dog so we first opted not to go on the trip and dayhike to some nearby lakes. Shortly thereafter, a crowded campground prompted us to reconsider. A review of the map indiated our original destination was "just over the ridge." There was a trail up the side we approached from, but it went to a lookout. The only way down to the lakes was to drop down the steep slope (kind of a rock glissade) through the brush to the lake below. So began my backpacking. :) :)

I've only ever done one true solo trip, and that was out of FLorence Lk in 1989 and it was mostly cross country. I made my way from Florence on trail to the JMT; then cross country from the JMT to the West Pinnacles drainage; then continued cross country up the W Pinnacles and over into the Bear Creek drainage near Three Island; and then back to Florence via the JMT and Selden Pass. Scared myself pretty good crossing into the Bear Creek drainage when I took a short slider on steep section of the decent. Only ended up with a small raspberry on the one butt cheek, but it shook me up a bit and is likley a big part of why I have never gone truly solo again. Starting to reconsdier such things>

I have started trips and ended trips solo. Once I met my brother in the BC. He did a week long trip and I did 5 days. I hiked solo that 1st day and met up with him at the end of that day. I think that was about 1993. In 1999, my brother did the JMT. I met him at Edison (VVR) as a resupply and hiked south with him for 4 days, before heading out over Hell 4 Sure pass on my own. I was supposed to take 3 days to get out, but I get bored on my own so I hiked out in 2 days.

As noted above, solo packing is starting to have more appeal as I get older, as its harder to find others to hike with (or ones that will put up with me :wink: ) and you only have yourself to consider as far as planning, daily iteneray, etc, but I will admit to liking company on hikes.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Troutdog,

I know what you mean about finding people that will put up with you. My question though is about what difference another person would have made on the trip where you slid? Did you expect that they would kiss it and make it better? :o

Mike
Mike

Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

:D :lol: :D

Wait,

:moon:

;)
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead