Locking Cars

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Locking Cars

Post by giantbrookie »

In more trips than I can count, I've only turned back once and I don't exactly remember the reasons. Given the vintage and make of the vehicles I commonly park at trailheads and the complete lack of anything of value within, I am not too worried about whether I locked the vehicle or not (always have, though out of ingrained inner city habit). I think the one time I turned back had to do with not being able to find my keys, although I'm not totally sure. This was at the North Lake trailhead in the summer of 2001. As many of you know, the parking area is not at the trailhead--I'm the one that drops off the others and packs (my wife in this case), parks the car, then walks back to trailhead. For whatever reason, I remember doing a two round trip jogs back to the car before figuring out where my keys were or at least that's what I think the reason for the two backtracks was. I was very thoroughly warmed up for hiking after 2.5 trips between the car and the trailhead. Too bad all those round trips cost precious time on a day when it started raining hard nearly from the first step on the trail.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;