So, if John Muir came back....

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

So, if John Muir came back....

Post by maverick »

What do you think would be the answers to these 3 questions:

1. Are you happy with the current conditions of the 2 parks that you helped into
protected status by helping them become national parks (Yosemite & SEKI)?

2. You were the co-founder of the Sierra Club, has it lived up to your visions of
what you intended it to achieve/become?

3. Seeing todays backpackers, what do you think of the style and advancement in
equipment and technology?
Would you embrace it, keep your own minimalist style or maybe the ultra-light
style of today?

PS Please keep the people of Japan in your thoughts and prayers!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: So, if John Muir came back....

Post by oldranger »

For both 1 and 2 I think his initial response would be that he was appalled but then, as he reflected on the changes in population and technology, he would be overwhelmed. I imagine it would take a long time for him to formulate a new position. Remember that in his day he was encouraging people to spend time in the mountains, now the problems of grazing and the like that he encountered are replaced with traffic jams in Yosemite Valley.

I think he would be amused at the full range of people spending time in the backcountry. He was really into the KISS philosophy of backpacking. Imagine how he would respond to our debates/discussions about equipment/cleanliness etc.

How would he deal with restrictions on fires?

What about those old sierra club trips that involved more stock than people and involved extended encampments on meadow fringes of lakes?

So while he was into preservation some of the activities he spawned are not permitted today and while I suspect that he would come to see these restrictions as necessary it probably would take some time for old John to come around.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!