Good advice

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Good advice

Post by Cross Country »

The second trip I took with my two sons I decided to try sleeping pills because the higher I sleep the worse I sleep. After the first night of the pills we began hiking the second day and I was really tired from the beginning. The third and fourth day off hiking was almost all downhill and every time we hiked level I was hiking with very low energy. I got lots of sleep each night. On our last day I realized that I almost for sure had no energy because of the pills. It was true and I never did that again. As was mentioned, it's different for each person. Because of my many orthopedic surgeries I've had to take lots of pain pills and I have to say I hate them, but again, each to his own.
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Flux »

I've never tried sleeping pills.

I rarely take any medication, even for a cold. That might be why the pain meds have such a profound effect. I found that the Vicodin kind of laid me back and relaxes me as well and I faded to sleep within 20 minutes of getting in my bag.

Looks like lots of folks have this altitude sleep problem.

I'll have to try the Excedrine PM when I run out of Vicodin.....unless I get another toothache.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

I guess we're all different. I don't have problems sleeping at altitude. I sleep well. I try to acclimate at ~8000 ft for a couple of days before I go higher. Maybe that helps, don't know for sure.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

According to an article (Play High, Sleep Low) I read in Skier Mag. this is a really common thing for the human species. After reading the article I sold my condo in Mammoth and began sleeping nights in Bishop. It really made a difference.