Amador County, Sierra Foothills, Anyone Familier?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Amador County, Sierra Foothills, Anyone Familier?

Post by mokelumnekid »

Cool- I've talked with Bill Easton on a number of occasions, at his winery and here in Seattle but he wouldn't remember me. If he is ever in Seattle pushing his stuff I try to make the event too. (I've been drinking the wine from that area since the early-70's and can even remember the Di Agostini brothers back when they were pretty much the only act in the area in that delightful old winery that is now Sobon Estate. They made a jug claret that was incredible- back before the whole "old vine zin" thing caught on, they were giving that stuff away.) I've got rather strong opinions on wine from that area and there are persistent quality control issues with some of the producers, and a lack of finesse sometimes. When Easton showed up he raised the bar thankfully, and things are much better these days. Everyone around there owes him a dept of gratitude for the leadership he has shown. Try DiArie too.

I still have a good friend who lives outside of Fiddletown on Old River Road.

Anyway, report on any secret pockets of joy you find, and maybe I'll share a few hideouts with amazing Sierra qualities not all that far from you (surprise!) that I don't want to post openly.