How do you feel about personal memorials in the Wilderness?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: How do you feel about personal memorials in the Wilderness?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have run across some failry historical plaques - the one at Marion Lake for example. That one did not bother me. I also ran acrross a plaque near Mt. Banner for someone who died climbing the peak. It actually looked like a grave was at the location! I was not fond of that one. I would say that if the memorial is of historical nature for someone of historical importance and put in place before the declaration of the wilderness area, that is OK. Otherwise, no, I do not like them.
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

I seem to remember that Peter Starr (son of Walter A. Starr, jr. - Starr's Guide to the JMT and the High Sierra Region) was the one who died climbing the Minarets in the '60's and was rocked (it took searchers quite a while to locate him) in where he lay. Don't hold me to that, but I know that one of those climbing pioneers had that distinction. However if Norman Clyde had crashed and been memorialized back there, I for one would not object to it. I'd be making a pilgrimage to the spot.
I know of another memorial plaque that is nailed higher up on a tree down near the Kings River between the N. and S. junctions of the Taboose Pass Trail that I have been looking for for years and have yet to find.
I suppose all this means is that I think it's o.k. if the memorial is unobtrusive and in good taste.
As for me, I'm going in one piece into the Mt. Morrison Cemetary near Convict Lake.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Walter "Pete" Starr died in 1933. Norman Clyde found his body after all the other searchers gave up. He and Jules Eichorn then went back later and entombed the body with rocks on the ledge where it lay with Walter Starr Sr. watching from below. See the introduction to Ansel Adam's Sierra Nevada: the John Muir Trail for the full story. Clyde's ashes were scattered on Norman Clyde Peak (I believe illegally with knowing rangers not interfering). Adams ashes were scattered by his children an Mt. Ansel Adams.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

Yep...
That's the one. I checked it out today and found the article posted above. Peter (Walter Starr Jr.) is probably the highest known burial in the lower 48, and in 1933, not in the 60's.
Norman Clyde could find almost anything or anyone back there.
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

LMBSGV wrote:Walter "Pete" Starr died in 1933. Norman Clyde found his body after all the other searchers gave up. He and Jules Eichorn then went back later and entombed the body with rocks on the ledge where it lay with Walter Starr Sr. watching from below. See the introduction to Ansel Adam's Sierra Nevada: the John Muir Trail for the full story. Clyde's ashes were scattered on Norman Clyde Peak (I believe illegally with knowing rangers not interfering). Adams ashes were scattered by his children an Mt. Ansel Adams.
There is a great book on in the subject of Walter Starr, Jr.'s death and the search for his remains, eventual burial, and even a "postscript" of two climbers finding the grave many years later: "Missing in the Minarets". Highly recommended.

I agree with MK that I don't think I want to see a proliferation of lasting memorials in the backcountry. Whereas the older ones tend to be associated with climbing/exploring/settling lore, such as the "Here lies Anna and Conrad Redenbacher" or something like that below Banner, and the unmarked graves by Ritter Lakes, there are just more people going into the wilderness now and I think if the physical memorial trend were to go unchecked, some popular stretches of trails will start looking like some of our more notorious and dangerous roads (with lots of memorials along them). My brother and I scattered our dad's ashes scattered beneath North Peak above his beloved Saddlebag area, but no trace was left otherwise. I don't really want to think of where I'd request to have my scattered, for, like most of us, I hope that is a long ways off. Dumbbell Lakes would be too inconvenient for the ash bearer...
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sierramel
Founding Member

Post by sierramel »

....Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a wholesale invasion of memorial plaques into the wilderness. That, of course, with the later-day heavy traffic in the backcountry, would be a travesty.
What I meant was memorials more along the lines like the one I've been searching for but never been able to find, down near the Kings up a tree somewhere. I know of it from reputation.
I did take a guy out one time who went up to conceal the ashes of his grandparents in a small cave near Lost Keys Lakes. I thought that was pretty neat.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

quentinc wrote:Rlown, I'm also fine with scattering ashes. I suspect other NPs have the same rule as Yosemite, but I have no problem if someone skips the permit part and just follows the guidelines (e.g., not near a water source).

As for me personally? I would say the top of Mt. Russell, but I wouldn't want to endanger anyone's life in the process of memorializing the end of mine!
That is pretty eerie.

To keep on topic...several month ago I ran into this at an off trail lake in Deso.
Joe Boocks.JPG
About two years ago, while at Royce, we ran into three guys who packed in the ashes of their friend. They were going to scatter his ashes in the Bear Lakes basin.

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

It seems to me that memorials do not belong in the backcountry. Yet I realize that those who have lost loved ones need to do something (especially if the person is never found) to memorialize them. So why not put the memorials at trail heads? That would not just memorialize them but possibly could save another family from suffering the same fate, by being a reminder that the backcountry is a dangerous place.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.