For a good time call .....

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
BaffaloBill
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

For a good time call .....

Post by BaffaloBill »

Hello to HST Yosemite staff, especially Ranger Mike:

Our group of Loopies had a really nice time in mid Aug. Mike's exceptional knowledge of the High Sierra's was only exceeded by the thoughtfulness of his readings and quotes and his stunningly good looks (well, so sayeth the women loopies....) ... "Loopy Groupies"... that needs to get worked into a song sometime.

Thanks again to Tuolumne, Merced, Sunrise and Vogelsang camps.

I have a lot of photos that I have yet to upload to photobucket.... Sylvia posted quite a few of the better ones on her facebook page.

love, peace and thanks.
Bill =8-]
Last edited by BaffaloBill on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: For a good time call .....

Post by rlown »

Ok, I am still confused by this post. This is the HST community, not the High Sierra Camp (HSC) staff.

And the facebook URL pointed to nothing useful, and it was put in a place in this forum that isn't about hiking/backpacking..

Bill? If you're not a spammer, edit your post, move it to the backpacking forum and post a trail report (TR).

Russ
BaffaloBill
Topix Newbie

Post by BaffaloBill »

Sorry, I guess i am in the wrong place....

any idea how to send a thankyou to the high sierra ranger and camp staff
?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

um, you're not necessarily in the wrong place if you enjoyed time in the Sierra. If you had a great time, you could tell us what you enjoyed in sort of a story format, if you move this to the backpacking area. Sounds like you had a really great time up there.

As for feedback to the HSC staff, that is best handled via the yose booking site on their feedback/contact area.
BaffaloBill
Topix Newbie

Post by BaffaloBill »

Ok Board,
I am too slow a typer to spend a day typing up 5 day hike down memory lane. I was simply hoping someone who knows the ranger to whom my post refers, might somehow get a word of thanks to him and staffers of the loop camps. I noticed a post somewhere concerning The High Sierra "presence" on facebook... we have great photos on my wife's facebook account we were hoping to link/share... Apparently it doesn't work unless you are a "friend" of hers.

Feel free to delete or move these posts.

I was part of a group of 15 loopers originally. Six of us are a group of friends from the NYC area. A family with young children dropped out after having trouble on the trail from Tuolumne to Vogelsang...
Ranger Mike made every effort to accomodate all of our capabilities and limitations.

For me, I wished we had more time to spend at the individual camps... I really enjoyed the day we spent at Merced lake.

We all particularly enjoyed the challenge of coming up with songs for Vogelsang, Merced, and Sunrise camps' staff.... as well as a song for Ranger Mike.

Ranger Mike did a great job attempting to engender a spirit of stewardship and respect for the High Sierra Wilderness as a sacred public space. He was informed and animated as an advocate for the historic and current movements to preserve and best utilize these areas. His special talks on Bears and Astronomy were informative and entertaining. His dozens of index card readings, trail anecdotes and humorous trail banter went above and beyond what we expected.. In my opinion Ranger Mike could not have done a significantly better job niether for us nor for the High Sierra Wilderness and related causes.

I think I speak for the members of our group in strongly recommending Ranger Mike as a wonderful guide for the Yosemite High Sierra trails, he inspired in us a sense of awe, respect and excitement.
I would like to think that exceptional Rangers such as Mike are compensated adequately for the 100% he gives to his job.

B.L.