Wanted- Hiking permits for Half Dome on Labor Day weekend

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
JTK555
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Wanted- Hiking permits for Half Dome on Labor Day weekend

Post by JTK555 »

I need hiking passes for any day Labor Day weekend. I'd prefer 9/4, but I can also hike on 9/3 or 9/5.

If you have any available, please let me know how many, the price, and where/how we can make the transaction.

Thanks!!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wanted- Hiking permits for Half Dome on Labor Day weekend

Post by rlown »

Aren't the HD permits tied by name to a wilderness permit? Not like we're talking about concert tickets here..
JTK555
Topix Novice

Post by JTK555 »

rlown wrote:Aren't the HD permits tied by name to a wilderness permit? Not like we're talking about concert tickets here..

I believe hikers are allowed to climb HD with either a HD permit or a wilderness permit.

I already have 4 HD permits; I just need a few extra for my cousins. My HD permits look just like ballgame/concert tickets, and my name and confirmation number are printed on them. I guess the NPS' $1.50 service fee helps them pay for printing the fancy looking tickets haha.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I seem to recall hearing that the weekend HD permits are allowed to be transferred...
Do not really understand why...maybe less hassle to re-distribute by the Rangers (no shows), or easier to dole out by the Permit holder.

Interesting also, that because of the current weekend HD quota thing, many more hikers are now going up on weekdays than on weekends...(Overheard from LYV Ranger...dreading the upcoming Monday zoo crowds).
Expect soon, all summer "Domers" will need the HD permits.
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The permits not used are being given to the ranger at the cables, who then hands them to anyone coming up the dome without permits. So I think they are transferable.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php ... #msg-28114
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wow. Guess it's a good thing that lot's of people want to do the dome. Otherwise, you wouldn't have the volume of ticket sales necessary to pay for the two rangers to be ushers/scalpers at the subdome.. sigh..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The permits are free. The buck fifty goes to reserveamerica for their services doling them out.

And, if you want to do HD while backpacking all you do is say so and what day - if it falls on one of the permit days - and they stamp the wilderness permit.
JTK555
Topix Novice

Post by JTK555 »

AlmostThere wrote:The permits not used are being given to the ranger at the cables, who then hands them to anyone coming up the dome without permits. So I think they are transferable.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php ... #msg-28114

Thanks for that link! It's good to know that the hikers in our group might have a chance of getting a permit from the rangers. That option will be their last resort if I can't find them permits.