Wilderness first responder course ?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness first responder course ?

Post by dave54 »

I first was certified as a regular EMT in my early days in the Forest Service, but keeping up the quals was too hard. So I let it lapse. A few years later we contracted with CDF paramedics (now Cal-Fire) for a quasi wilderness EMT course. It was great, the instructors shared many tricks and tips, (such as making a traction splint from sticks, p-cord, and bandannas), and focused almost exclusively on the medical problems found on the backcountry fireline.

Of course, in the real world the Forest Service 'cheats'. Just get on the radio and a helicopter will be there in minutes, and a medical evac is one of the exceptions to the 'no LZ construction in a Wilderness' rule.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness first responder course ?

Post by rlown »

Time to refresh first aid.. This is the book I've had forever.. well, you know what i mean.
backpacking 002.JPG
It's pretty simple.. know what to do when you can and have a plan B. This was from '85, but not much has changed for helping people back there since then, other than knowing what drugs they might need.

Anyway.. Be safe..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.