Something to Think About Around the Campfire

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Something to Think About Around the Campfire

Post by rightstar76 »

Here's something to think about the next time you're sitting by the campfire looking up at the night sky. I found this on another board.

So what are people's thoughts on this?

A New Clue to Explain Human Existence

Physicists at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory are reporting that they have stumbled onto a new clue that could help unravel one of the biggest mysteries of cosmology: why the universe is composed of matter and not its evil-twin opposite, antimatter. If confirmed, the finding portends fundamental discoveries at the new Large Hadron Collider outside Geneva, as well as a possible explanation for our own existence.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/scien ... messcience" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Something to Think About Around the Campfire

Post by rlown »

Looking up, on a dark night, with the Milky Way blazing, I never get past the question, "what kind of fishbowl is this universe in?" :paranoid:
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Hey guys, this looks like the start of a great thread.
After numerous nights beside a comforting campfire (or not, but still outside) under blazing infinities of stars, I came to the decision that the only possible response was to wave "hello" back.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

It's mind bogleling, space goes to infinity. What else may be out there? I try not to think about it.
Piece of cake.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Speaking of the night sky...A few months ago I got a fortune cookie that said "An alien of some sort will be appearing to you shortly!" I taped it to my computer monitor. That was the best fortune cookie I ever got.

I haven't seen one yet. But one night a few years back I was camped out on Mehrten Creek by the High Sierra Trail. I was all by myself and all of a sudden the forest lit up. My heart started beating real fast. Oh no, I thought, is this for real? The aliens have come. Oh oh. Images of abduction came to mind. Then I saw a meteorite streaking across the sky.

Thank goodness, I thought. Just a piece of cosmic matter burning in the atmosphere. Nothing more to worry about. The stars were out again. Lots of them. I went back to sleep. No aliens.

Per the article, I guess it's comforting to know that the universe may not be disappearing, at least not anytime soon.