Ken Burn's "The National Parks" this Sunday on PBS

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Ken Burn's "The National Parks" this Sunday on PBS

Post by SteveB »

Ken Burns' new, much anticipated movie "The National Parks" airs this Sunday on PBS (prime-time in my area). Please watch this movie, and help support the national parks and monuments! Our parks are under attack from the likes of drug dealers, pollution, and lack of funding (think Cash for Clunkers, Bank Bailouts, and Bridges to Nowhere). As Ken Burns said recently in an interview on NBC with Brian Williams, "If it weren't for the National Parks places like Zion and Yosemite would be gated communities for the ultra rich."

Show your support by watching this movie, supporting Ken Burns' works, and supporting the National Parks!

:soapbox: :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ken Burn's "The National Parks" this Sunday on PBS

Post by maverick »

Thanks SteveB for the heads up, I'll check it out.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

I was able to attend the "sneak preview" of this down at Santa Monica Mts. It's good, definitly. :thumbsup:
packmule
Topix Regular

Post by packmule »

Yup! Caught the 3rd part last night! I had to put everything on hold for 2 hours :nod: Very educational!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I've watched them all so far. I've never been so transfixed by a TV series.
packmule
Topix Regular

Post by packmule »

The Other Tom wrote:I've watched them all so far. I've never been so transfixed by a TV series.
"LOST" gets me this way. My wife and I were not into it until some friends let us barrow the 4 seasons. Man talk about being transfixed. It was hard to say "no" to one more episode :D

I really like the quotes from the dairies in this series. They wrote in such a way that it makes you feel like they must of been feeling. They did not have texted messeging or emails or evening forums like these. They really knew how to express their feelings which I admire greatly. One quote I took a liking to was from the couple who were traveling to all of the parks via the 17 buicks. She said, " Some, if it be your will, hoard money and buy land, we choose to spend yours on memeries." In our greedy world, it is amazing to hear of the J.D Rockerfellas, the George Dorrs and the Steve Mathis. Guys who used their wealth to protect these one of a kind places. Just gives me some much needed faith that there is good in the ultra rich. At least back then :nod:
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

[quote="packmule One quote I took a liking to was from the couple who were traveling to all of the parks via the 17 buicks. She said, " Some, if it be your will, hoard money and buy land, we choose to spend yours on memeries." In our greedy world, it is amazing to hear of the J.D Rockerfellas, the George Dorrs and the Steve Mathis. Guys who used their wealth to protect these one of a kind places. Just gives me some much needed faith that there is good in the ultra rich. At least back then :nod:[/quote]

Yes, that quote struck a chord with me as well. I guess that's been my philosophy, although I've never put it into words.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I too was touched by the couple from Lincoln. What really got to me was the last trip the woman took to Rocky Mountain. It just wasn't the same without her husband. As much as I backpack without my wife she is always with me. When I backpack with her the experience is different but she is always with me. The woman's statements really made me reflect on how much our relationships affect us--even when alone.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

The Other Tom wrote:I've watched them all so far. I've never been so transfixed by a TV series.
Battlestar Galactica... I'm Jonesin' for that next disc to come on netflix.

But I'm 1/2 way through the first of the Parks series. I really have enjoyed it so far, but just haven't had the time to sit and watch it all. I think PBS should have spread it out more.... I'm glad I have a DVR to watch at my own pace.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Due to work schedule conflicts I have not been able to watch them yet. No worries though, I'll order the series through netflix and watch them when the snow flies, with hot tea and a fire going in the fireplace. :nod: That reminds me, time to get the wood in!