Has anyone seen this? An outrage.

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Has anyone seen this? An outrage.

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Well.....that was an unfair fight! That guy should have been able to wrassle that little 175lb bar :bear: . Then if he won his gal would have been really impressed rather than embarrassed. If he really wanted to shot a bar he should have purchased a license and bear tag. I agree, what an idiot…..waste of a critter :thumbsdown:.
packmule
Topix Regular

Post by packmule »

Sad! In Carson City a few weeks ago a guy hunting Grouse kill a Mountain Lion. He said it was circling him after he startled it! Game Warden sided with the hunter :angry: I think dude just wanted to kill something!
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

packmule wrote:Sad! In Carson City a few weeks ago a guy hunting Grouse kill a Mountain Lion. He said it was circling him after he startled it! Game Warden sided with the hunter :angry: I think dude just wanted to kill something!
I dunno, those cats sometimes just won't back down. Maybe it would have never attacked... maybe it would have... but in the end, as an individual he had to make a call in the moment that possibly would save/cost his life.

The story in Mammoth was a guy that WALKED TO HIS CAR, got his gun, and shot the Bear from 20 feet away... Vastly Different.
packmule
Topix Regular

Post by packmule »

rayfound wrote:
packmule wrote:Sad! In Carson City a few weeks ago a guy hunting Grouse kill a Mountain Lion. He said it was circling him after he startled it! Game Warden sided with the hunter :angry: I think dude just wanted to kill something!
I dunno, those cats sometimes just won't back down. Maybe it would have never attacked... maybe it would have... but in the end, as an individual he had to make a call in the moment that possibly would save/cost his life.

The story in Mammoth was a guy that WALKED TO HIS CAR, got his gun, and shot the Bear from 20 feet away... Vastly Different.
True Rayfound! Sad either way! :(
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

In Carson City a few weeks ago a guy hunting Grouse kill a Mountain Lion. He said it was circling him after he startled it!
Man....this never happens to me.....I wish I could just run into a cat like that and have my smoke pole along.....I have a Mt Lion tag and don’t have dogs. That would have been perfect. I bet the guy stumbled upon the cat sitting on a fresh kill. I still think its chicken sh*t of the bear guy to do that though....but the cat....completely different situation IMHO.
packmule
Topix Regular

Post by packmule »

Bad Man From Bodie wrote:
In Carson City a few weeks ago a guy hunting Grouse kill a Mountain Lion. He said it was circling him after he startled it!
Man....this never happens to me.....I wish I could just run into a cat like that and have my smoke pole along.....I have a Mt Lion tag and don’t have dogs. That would have been perfect. I bet the guy stumbled upon the cat sitting on a fresh kill. I still think its chicken sh*t of the bear guy to do that though....but the cat....completely different situation IMHO.
Ok I agree completely! Different situation but the results is the same. So you feel for the bear but not the Cat. IMHO I would rather see a bear dead then a Cat! It is estimate that only 5,000 Cats make their homes in NV! This is an outrage :D
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Oh....more than 5000 cats make their home in NV my friend........
packmule
Topix Regular

Post by packmule »

Ken Meyer, director of Nevada’s wildlife department said: ‘It’s not an effort to exterminate mountain lions’. ‘It’s an effort to better manage lions with the prey base. Some hunters think the solution the deer problem is to kill a lot of lions and the deer will come back’.
The state’s deer population fell from 240,000 in 1998 to 108,000 in 2008 while its current lion population ranges from 1,500 to 2,400, according to wildlife department.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/267350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess I was wrong! It is a little less than 5,000
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Half of those cats seem to be living in the foothills of Reno eating feral horses and little doggies. I’ll take those numbers for what its worth. I think NDOW has their arms around how many cats are in the state, so if THEY reported a couple thousand that seams low based on the tag quota they set each year.

Those darn cats can be gnarly some times. Last May we had one stalking a couple of drillers on a project in central NV. Guys saw it several times. I never did, but saw pics of it walking 20 ft from the rig at night. The critters are around and I have no problem shooting one if I ever get the chance…

I have great respect for both bar and lions. The more time I spend hunting them on their turf, the more I have the chance to learn about their habits and nature. This education has given me a great respect for them.

Generally the predator prey ratio is all messed up around the west and the carrying capacity for predators has been greatly exceeded. Its way to easy for bar, coyotes, and cats to pick up a snack from an “unnatural” source increasing their chance for survival when they would typically die off swinging the prey ratio in the positive direction….it use to be all circular now it is more rhombus like. The octagon of life……
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I've never owned a gun nor carried one. If a bear ever attacked me I'd just loose. Oh well. I'm not condemning hunters. It's just that noting like that is for me. I always figured that if a bear got my food then I blew it and should suffer the consequences. No reason to get angry at the bear nor anyone else when possible to avoid it. One time I hiked out over Sawtooth Pass without breakfast, but it wasn't because of a bear. I just ran out of food (only time). In 600+ days of BP a bear never got my food. I was called a liar on that one, but it's true. I think anyone who can get really angry because someone disagrees with them could shoot a poor defenseless bear, maybe shoot me (ha ha). Seriously though anger can do real damage.