Crap/junk you have found in the back country?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Crap/junk you have found in the back country?

Post by John Dittli »

Does this count?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

Nothing quite as spectacular as a helicopter, but along with the usual cans, bottles, balloons, etc. I did come across a full set of bed springs at a campsite in the Minarets many years ago.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Other than normal bits n pieces I did have one lucky find, two faded but full cans of beer.
I've often thought of returning the favor and packing in a six pack to stash a can at a time
for some other lucky hiker.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Speaking of beer,

In the early 70s a friend and I hiked in over Cottonwood Pass, down to Whitney Meadows. In the middle of the meadow we found an old glass jar filled with Malt (though an ingredient of beer that is not the connection). Later in the day we got near where the map indicated a gauging station along Golden Trout Creek. I told my friend if we went down close to the creek it was likely we would find a decent campsite. We did. Then as I usually do I started poking around along the stream and shortly came back to camp with 5 bottles of Brew 102. Not the best but beggars can't be ..... The bottles had cork inside the caps and a couple were rotted out so some of the beer was spoiled. But all in all it was a great find.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Thats a good find! There's a lot of junk in big whitney meadow isn't there? Oil drums, tools, old fence and the like.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

In 2007, i did find two Garcia bear canisters full of food and a gallon of coleman white gas at Upper Mattie in Yose in early october. No one around but our party. Oh yeah, and the gill-nets.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

One thing does bother me about picking up "abandoned" items, am I positive they are
actually "abandoned" and not a pre-positioned "Cache" that someone is depending on?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

frediver wrote:One thing does bother me about picking up "abandoned" items, am I positive they are
actually "abandoned" and not a pre-positioned "Cache" that someone is depending on?
Yeah, we just found them and looked at them. We didn't bother them. It was clear they were a cache for the following year's net haulout.. I'm not saying some in my party didnt have ideas, but the permit was under my name and they knew where i was going.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

Russ, I think I would have moved the canisters and white gas far enough to shake up the owners but not so far that they couldn't easily spot them. But that is just my perverted sense of humor. :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

we moved nothing. it was sad enough to see what they did, without advertising it.

i better not find another lake not advertised for rehabilitation.