The Pacific Crest Trail mile 2302

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

The Pacific Crest Trail mile 2302

Post by Hetchy »

:D
Hello my fellow Sierra worshippers!
I have been blessed to still be able to hike the Pacific Crest trail to mile 2302. I am taking a zero day here in the town of Packwood Washington a mere 20 miles down the road from where I left the trail yesterday. I have only 360 miles of trail left :crybaby: !
I don't want to be a plumber again just yet!
I had better slow myself down.. Yea.. Right :D
I must say, that Washington has a bit of everything. Though the first 100 miles was mostly forest bound, it is quite an amazing forest at that. Nothing in the Sierra looks like this. There is such dense undergrowth.. AND HUCKLEBERRIES Galore! :yummy:
Mt. Adams wilderness and the glacier clad peak itself were beautiful and inspiring.
The Goat rocks wilderness are a volcanic wonder. This trail holds SO many fascinating sights and experiences. Not the least of which are the wonderful people I have met. I have much to be thankful for.
Next up is the rest of Washington along the PCT! I just can't wait. Like I posted elsewhere.. it is like the plot of a good novel as it unravels.. this long distance hiking stuff. You just are in so much anticipation of what will happen next that you can't bear to put it down!
I am the luckiest man on earth to be able to hike this trail.
Follow Your Bliss..
Live Your Dreams..
Love every minute!
Cheers-Matthew-Iceaxe-Hetchy
:D
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Pacific Crest Trail mile 2302

Post by rlown »

Kudos =D> I've been reading your journal as well, and what an amazing adventure. I'm sure you won't know what to do with yourself after your done.. You're gonna need some late season hikes just to decompress.

Best Thoughts,

Russ
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Huckelberries,

How can a thru hiker make good time when hiking thru huckelberries? It took my wife and I 4 hours to hike 6 miles down the West fork of the Wallowa River yesterday because we couldn't pass up the huckleberries and thimble berries along the trail! :)
Kathy and huckleberry.JPG
:confused:

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Hetchy, I'm glad you're enjoying Washington! I just now read your report and saw where you're taking your "zero" day - I'm going to be up in Packwood tomorrow! There's an annual "Labor Day weekend flea market" in Packwood this weekend. It's fun... lots of street vendors - baskets, tie-dye shirts, arts and crafts (all the stuff I love to look at but can drive other people crazy) and a huge auction ...but I'm sure you'll already be long gone (as if you'd want anything to put in your pack ;) ).

Anyway, I'm glad you posted...I had been wondering when you'd be coming thru.

Rosie