Snow upon Mt Bache.. Santa Cruz California(Cal-If-Or-Nye-Ay)

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Bearlover
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Snow upon Mt Bache.. Santa Cruz California(Cal-If-Or-Nye-Ay)

Post by Bearlover »

I live at 1500 feet in the Santa Cruz mtns.. we got 2 inches of snow/hail and it stuck!.. I just got home after a journey in the 1953 Willys jeep up to Bache and Mt Chula(3000) feet.. The snow was at least 4 inches there. I know this sounds pitiful but remeber we are only talking 12 miles to the Pacific ocean! Along the way I rescued a fifty thousand dollar suv and (the same) toyota pickup twice. :lol:
My god I just wanted to share with you that we have a ton of snow up here and we ain't all that far up!!.. or very far from the ocean as well! Though I am dead tired I just have to say... WOO HOOO! :D I bet when this front crosses the Sierra the snow will pile up tenfold from what we are getting! Yeee Haaa! Happy snow time Y'all! Who sayes old jeeps are junk... well okay it kinda is but any how... Yeehaaaa!
A flash of lightening just overhead and the thunderous echo not a half second behind as hail pounded the 14 gauge sheetmetal hood as it grinds inevitably uphill. The big American star upon it shone brightly in the night.
At one point I got stuck and just sat in the snow.. the moon came out as flakes fell from the sky... I dreamed I was back in Paradise Meadow in May.. the clouds drifted past the moon and everywhere was white snow.. The familiar ground became alien under a blanket of frozen crystals. The hood of my parka froze stiff and no company except a cloud of mist as I exhaled into the dark, In silent admiration of the complete beauty of ice, rock ,and sky. Jesus! I can't wait till May... I want to hike now!
Happy White trails to you all! :p
There is a Bear.. Where? Over there!
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Bearlover, you make me smile. For someone who can really get worked up on his posts (especially when it concerns bears ;) ), you have a very poetic side to you. That last paragraph describing the snow in the moonlight was beautiful.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Very cool. I went up to the preserves this weekend to check out the snow. I think I got there a little too late. Lots of patches of snow but I think a lot of it melted when I got there. All the cars coming down the mtn had snow all over them though. I was up there sat and sun, and it snowed on me both days...enjoy it while it lasts bearloveer! ;)
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I recall a cold storm that left about 6 inches in the Santa Cruz Mountains a couple decades ago. Lots of broken tree limbs closing the roads for days. Cold storms like this don't happen but once in a decade or two. Friend and I planned on doing some photography in Yosemite Valley in order to capture snow in the valley. I'd just been there a week ago for the previous storm that dropped about 15 inches in the valley turning it into a winter wonderland. Then when this even colder storm was forecast, I decided to have another go at it. The beginning of the storm Friday afternoon wimped out with just a dusting showing on the remote CDEC snow sensors for YV that the Half Dome webcam seemed to agree with. But I could see bands of cold precip moving in thus woke at 3:30am, brought up the CDEC website and noted several inches had fallen. So off we went about 4am from the Bay Area. Was only 35 degrees crossing 1k Altamonth pass on I580. I decided to take SR132 to SR49 to SR140. As we reached about 700 feet elevation east of the old mining town of La Grange, a vast landscape of white oak grasslands loomed ahead. It was about sunrise as we reached Don Pedro Reservoir at about 800 feet where several inches of fresh snow was on the ground and it was snowing heavily. Where we drove along Merced Falls Road about 1300 feet the snow was about 6 inches deep with travel on the road dangerous. I crept along slowly in the old Subu. However as we drove southeast towards SR49 at a higher elevation temps rose and it turned to rain. So not all areas got snow but rather just where some big cold cells were dumping. We reached Yosemite an hour later where snow covered all the trees and boulders down to El Portal at 2k.

...David
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Sunday morning about 6AM, nasty crashes of thunder woke me up and then vcious hail soon thereafter. About 0620 snow(big fat wet flakes) started falling. I grabbed the video camera and started up Highway 46 towards Hearst Castle/Cambria. I live at about 900'. By the time I hit 1100', the stuff was accumulating rapidly. People were stopping and turning around there was so much snow on the road. By 1500' I was thinking chains but still made it to the summit in near blizzard conditions. The summit is about 1900'. Crazy! Snow down to 900'...unheard of on the central coast where I live. Video is pretty cool...my wipers couldn't hardly keep up with the snow.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Very cool! I was asleep on the way home from Mammoth, and SnowDude woke me up to see the snow off of the 14, by Lancaster! :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

I used to live in Stockton (went to the University of the Pacific) and the first time I ever visited Yosemite Valley, I was with my girlfriend and we drove on SR120 past Don Pedro Reservoir on the north side. The second time, I went on my motorcycle the same route. After experiencing the twists and turns twice, I decided to start taking SR140. David, you've reminded me of those years in the Central Valley and the excitement of driving up the foothills to Yosemite, and how long it's been since I've been there! :crybaby: I love the Eastern Sierra, but...Yosemite is where it all began for me. I HAVE to make it back this year; It's like my Sierra home!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

What years were you at Pacific?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Already replied in pm to Eric; Let's just say pre-90's! :)
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Heheheheh..... I went to "music camp" at UOP (then COP) when I was in Jr. High in San Francisco. I'll never tell what year that was (mostly because I can't remember).