Spring around the corner?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

dave54 wrote:[
From a tectonic standpoint, where the Sierras ends and the Cascades begin are not quite so easily defined. Because the relative movement of various faults do not change at Almanor (although the Mohawk Valley fault zone-think of this as the equivalent of Owens Valley- bends dramatically northward right at Almanor to form the spectacular west-facing escarpment that proceeds northward from the peninsula) the "Sierra Nevada microplate" as geologists call it can be argued to extend up INTO the Cascades. However, I think the cleanest geologic definition is to place the "province" boundary at the southernmost active volcanic center, which would be Lassen and environs. We could say from there on north, we're in the Cascades no, matter what. Keddie Ridge, by this definition, as well as the ridge that includes Crystal Lake north of Quincy, fall outside the "geologic" definition of the Sierra because they are east of the Mohawk Valley fault zone. A lot of folks include the block between the Honey Lake fault zone and Mohawk Valley fault zone in the Sierras, but this is the geologic equivalent of calling the White-Inyo Mtns (between the Fish Lake Valley fault zone and the Owens Valley fault) "Sierra".
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I agree the boundary is indistinct, and to be fair the ranges transition into each other.

I look at the road cut on Hwy 89 just north of Canyon Dam. The south side of the cut is granitics, and the north side is basaltic. However, on Hwy 147 up east shore the series of low road cuts alternate. Granitics also appear in a few locations on Butt Mtn, and there is a granite outcrop just south of the Park boundary near Spencer Meadows, which surprised me. The entire area is geologically fascinating. It seems every time I go hiking I find a new lava tube.

The plateau area off the 17 road along the western boundary of the Park has numerous strange shaped hoodoos -- like a museum of modern sculpture. And I assume you are familiar with the bizarre, almost sinister-looking formations in the Devil's Den area south of the Ishi Wilderness.

The 'normal' High Sierra the focus of this board seems tame and boring by comparison.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=