Fee-Free Weekends in Your National Parks

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/feefreeparks.htm

Visitors sitting around a campfire in a national park.

America’s Best Idea – the national parks – gets even better this summer with three fee-free weekends at more than 100 national parks that usually charge entrance fees*.

Mark your calendars for fee-free weekends this summer:

* June 20-21, 2009 (Father’s Day weekend)
* July 18-19, 2009
* August 15-16, 2009

And to make the fun even more affordable, many national park concessioners are joining the National Park Service in welcoming visitors on this summer’s fee free weekends with the their own special offers.

Here’s a tip – many national parks never charge an entrance fee, so you can plan inexpensive visits year round!

For a list of family fun activities this summer, visit National Parks: The Place to Be for Family Fun.

*Fee waiver includes: entrance fees, commercial tour fees, and transportation entrance fees. Other fees such as reservation, camping, tours, concession and fees collected by third parties are not included unless stated otherwise.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Fee-Free Weekends in Your National Parks

Post by rightstar76 »

They're full of it in my opinion. To get the five bucks off you have to spend at least 25 dollars. Give me a break. But if inexpensive is what they're trying to sell, I have some pigs with wings. Good luck getting an inexpensive room in SEKI. Lodgepole Campground isn't cheap either. Still, I like the fact that you don't have to pay an entrance fee those weekends. But inexpensive family vacation it aint.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Rightstar is right. The fees keep steadily increasing and the NPS dos not have much to show for it.

Fortunately, I have a lifetime pass. If I had to pay an entrance fee I would visit a NP far less than I do now.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone explain- if I enter SEKI from the west (Lodgepole) I must pay $10 for an overnight camping permit. If entering from the east (Whitney Ranger Station) there is no fee, regardless of whether my plans include nights in SEKI. What's the rationale? If you include the car permit, it costs something like $20 to enter via lodgepole vs. free from Whitney Ranger Station.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Well, you're usually driving in from the West. From the East, you have to hike through a designated Wilderness area (John Muir) before you enter the park. A lot of difference in traffic, not to mention trailhead entry points.