Commercial Flight Traffic over Yosemite and other NP's

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
freeride21a
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Commercial Flight Traffic over Yosemite and other NP's

Post by freeride21a »

hehe, I took a picture of you taking a picture of me!

ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

oldranger wrote:...though the s. most part was affected by 2 daily round trips between Lemore Naval Airbase and a bombing range in Nevada in the 80s (these were flights at legal altitudes, not the infamous Kern and Whitney buzzes). Don't know if they still do that.
Yes, Lemoore NAS still makes daily trips to China Lake. However, with the brand new MOA over the San Joaquin Valley, not sure if F-18 traffic to CL has slowed or not.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:While I don't like overflights anymore than anyone else where exactly to you propose e-w flights be relocated to.
Mike

If it were me? I'd route it right down the I-80 corridor. There are already Interstates, condo/winter cabins/Railroads there. One expects noise there; Not over a NP.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

On the bright side, there's rarely civilian air traffic over Sequoia Kings -- it's part of restricted Edwards military flight zone (R-2508), extending from about Muir Pass south to the end of the Sierra. On occasional weekends they'll release it if there's no military traffic scheduled. Otherwise, there's no restrictions on any civilian flights anywhere else in the Sierra (e.g. Yosemite) which is obviously a direct route to both SFO & Sacramento etc.

Military traffic over Sequoia Kings (only) is restricted to 3,000 feet above ground level (AGL). LeMoore and their F-18's usually respect that, it's the other visiting training groups that often run amok at tree top.

There have been sound impact studies of air traffic in both Yosemite and Sequoia Kings. I don't know what happened to the data if it was ever even compiled.

g.