Eurasian Collared Doves

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Eurasian Collared Doves

Post by dave54 »

For over a year or so I have heard several people in the Susanville area comment that they have seen a new bird in the area, and keying it out as the Eurasian Collered Dove. Their reports have all been discounted as a misidentification as this is well outside its previously mapped range.

I just spotted several in my yard. Put the picture of the similar ringed turtle dove alongside the Eurasian Collared and double check with the binoculars, and they are definitely the Eurasian.

I quickly checked with the Cornell web site. While on the computer my wife hollered at me they were mating! (along with some snide comment about "typical male, wants to do it even in the rain" :lol: ).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Re: Eurasian Collared Doves

Post by hikerduane »

I've seen something too, at home and in Carson City.
Piece of cake.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

They are in Lee Vining! They arived about 4-5 years ago, stay all year, and are now thick in number.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

They are increasing in numbers all over the state. I think that last year the DFG began increasing the hunt limits on them just to try and control there spread some.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

with Gary C's last post, it came to mind, who hunt's for whatever in the Sierras? just wondering, as i'll admit i do.

Russ
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

I hunt just about everything they alow you to in the Sierra. As for the doves......mom wont let us shoot them...I wonder how they eat....bigger than a morning dove which is great table fair. Im more of a chucker hunter than a dove hunter though.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Probably better for the recipe topix, but. Dove in olive oil and lightly peppered on the grill, very nice. If you slice the breasts (only part of the dove other than the leg/thigh meat that's big enough to use), either alone fine, or in a fine pasta stir with comparable veggies/spices, works. Try a precooked piece first to figure out how you want to compliment it.

If it's a DFG problem, it must become my passion.

Russ
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I never came up with the money again, after I sold my shotgun and stereo to pay the well driller and electrician in the early 80's, so I could move out onto my property.:( Ever see a Dobie retrieve? They can learn.
Piece of cake.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Does this bird have any value for fly tying material?.... I'm just saying...
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Yes....bird feathers work well for making up flies....I suspect the collar part would make good soft hackles.