FORECAST 20-MAR-09 | High Sierra Topix  

FORECAST 20-MAR-09

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
User avatar

FORECAST 20-MAR-09

Postby dmatt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:14 am

FORECAST FOR THE OWENS VALLEY, MAMMOTH AND MONO COUNTY
PROVIDED BY DENNIS MATTINSON
EASTERN SIERRA WEATHER FORECASTER
KSRW 92.5 / 96.5 FM AND TV-33

FRIDAY, 20-MAR-09, MORNING REPORT

THIS IS THE FIRST OFFICIAL DAY OF SPRING AND WITH THAT WE WILL SEE A CONTINUATION OF ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES. THIS IS ALL GOING TO CHANGE SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY AS A FAST PACED, COLD PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM OUT OF THE GULF OF ALASKA BLASTS THROUGH OUR AREA. TEMPERATURES WILL DROP, THE WINDS WILL PICK UP AND BY THE EVENING SO WILL THE PRECIPITATION. A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR THE SIERRA REMAINS IN EFFECT. MAMMOTH COULD SEE AS MUCH AS 12 - 24 INCHES OF NEW SNOW BY SUNDAY. THE OWENS VALLEY WILL HAVE A GOOD CHANCE AT RAIN, PARTICULARLY ON SUNDAY. AS FAST AS IT MOVED IN, THE STORM SYSTEM WILL LEAVE US BY LATE SUNDAY WITH CLEARING SKIES AND WARMING TEMPERATURES THROUGH MID WEEK. BY THE END OF THE NEXT WEEK, TEMPERATURES WILL BE RUNNING AS MUCH AS 10 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL.

FOR THOSE HIKERS AND CLIMBERS IN THE MOUNT WHITNEY AREA THIS WEEKEND, YOU CAN EXPECT INCREASING CLOUDS ON SATURDAY WITH WINDY CONDITIONS AND A 60 - 70% CHANCE OF SNOW BY SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY. THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IS POSSIBLE.

FOR THE OWENS VALLEY

TODAY: MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES. HIGHS IN THE MID 70S. WINDS BECOMING SE 11 - 14 MPH G 21.
TONIGHT: PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 40S. WINDS SE 5 - 13 MPH G 20.
SATURDAY: PARTLY SUNNY SKIES. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S. WINDS BECOMING SW 10 - 15 MPH G 25.
SATURDAY NIGHT: MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40% CHANCE OF SHOWERS BECOMING 60% ON SUNDAY. LOWS IN THE MID TO UPPER 30S. WINDS SW 15 - 18 MPH G 26.

FOR MAMMOTH AND JUNE LAKES:

TODAY: MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 50S. WINDS SW 5 - 10 MPH.
TONIGHT: PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. WINDS SW 10 - 15 MPH.
SATURDAY: MOSTLY CLOUDY AND BREEZY. 20% CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. WINDS SW 20 - 25 MPH G 35.
SATURDAY NIGHT: MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 100% CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. WINDS W 25 - 35 MPH G 50.

FOR MONO COUNTY:

TODAY: PARTLY CLOUDY WITH ISOLATED AFTERNOON SHOWERS. HIGHS 58 - 68. WINDS SW 10 MPH.
TONIGHT: PARTLY CLOUDY BECOMING MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH ISOLATED SHOWERS POSSIBLE. LOWS 30 - 40. WINDS SW 10 MPH.
SATURDAY: MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS 44 - 54. WINDS SW 15 - 25 MPH G 45. RIDGE G 70.
SATURDAY NIGHT: MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH RAIN EARLY THEN SNOW. LOWS 23 - 33. WINDS SW 15 - 25 MPH G 45. RIDGE G TO 90.

NOTE: DENNIS' FORECAST ORIGINATES FROM THE FORT INDEPENDENCE EPA METEOROLOGICAL AND PM-10 MONITORING STATION. BECAUSE WEATHER CONDITIONS VARY GREATLY FROM LOCATION TO LOCATION IN THE EASTERN SIERRA, THIS FORECAST MAY NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE FOR YOUR AREA.



User avatar
dmatt
Topix Expert
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:41 am
Location: Lone Pine/Independence, CA
Experience: N/A

Return to The Campfire



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests