Sierra Rattlesnakes

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
jimqpublic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Rattlesnakes

Post by jimqpublic »

Five things I love about the High Sierra are that rattlesnakes, ticks, poison oak, no-see-ums and chiggars generally stay away. Now if the mosquitos would just follow suit...

My highest rattlesnake sightings have been Bubbs Creek trail at around 7,000 feet and the Sawmill Pass trail around 8000.
Jim
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

gdurkee wrote:Speaking of rattlesnakes, last summer one of the trail crew heard a rattle, looked up, and there was a rattlesnake 10 feet up a tree! Junction Meadow. Never heard anything like that before.

g.
I grew up out here in the coast Chapparral country and have seen more rattlesnakes than I care to think about, and twice I have seen one well off the ground up in the brush, once about 3- 4', the other time right at eye level while I was crashing thru the brush on an SAR mission. Both times I figured they were in a panic trying to get away from me, neither one rattled though.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by caddis »

4 or 5 footer on Bear Creek around 8000 ft