The Hikin' Mike Update Thread

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

The Hikin' Mike Update Thread

Post by Hikin Mike »

After all that has been going on lately, I thought I’d post a little update for anyone that’s interested.

Some of you may know I haven’t been able to walk on my own for almost two years. This whole ordeal started about two years ago with elbow and shoulder pain. My doctors diagnosed me with Lyme Disease and I was put on antibiotics. This helped my elbow and shoulder pain, but then I started having trouble with my knees. They continued different treatments to no avail. Recent x-rays and MRIs of both knees show very little cartilage left. My only option now is total joint replacement.

The doctors aren’t 100% sure what caused my knees to deteriorate so quickly, but suspect it has a lot to do with my weakened immune system. Because my immune system is so weak I’ve been receiving monthly IVIg infusions for the past two years. I will most likely have to continue this long (~5 hours) and expensive (~$4500) treatment for the rest of my life. Thank goodness for insurance!

Because of my weakened immune system and the possibility of infection, the surgeon will only do one knee at a time. Because my right knee is worse (only by a margin), I’m having it replaced on April 17. I’m not sure on recovery time, but I’m hoping by June/July I’ll have the other knee replaced and maybe by September/October I’ll be 100% again, but I’ll settle for a strong 75%!

After not being able to walk without either a cane, or a walker, the thought of being able to walk with my wife and kids again is almost something I can’t comprehend and describe. While I can’t say I’m glad this happened, it did help me to appreciate the simple things in life that I used to take for granted. I tried, sometimes not very successfully, (ask my wife) to use this as a learning experience. What did it teach me?

It has also taught me how to accept and sometimes ask for the help of friends and strangers. This was a tough one. I’ve always tried to help others when I could; be it financially through special collections at church, to hands on help like fixing cars for those less mechanically inclined. Since I can no longer do a lot of things myself, I’ve had to rely on the help of friends, family and even strangers.

As a Christian, I wish I could say this was the best thing that ever happened to me, but I can’t. I can’t begin to count the times I’ve literally cursed God. But, looking back I can also see the little things He has done to bring me up out of the pit I was in. Is my faith stronger because of this? I really don’t know. I do know it hasn’t been lost and I guess that’s all that matters.

As a photographer, it has taught me to look at my surroundings differently. Not being able to get around and get to the “money shots”, I had to get creative, sometimes shooting from inside my car.

The last and most important thing I’ve learned and hope to pass on to others is this: Please don’t take anything for granted.

Thanks for listening…
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Thanks for sharing your ordeal Mike. Hang in there!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Mike,
Thanks for the update. My prayers are with you.

Tom
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Mike,

I really appreciate seeing your update and words of wisdom. No doubt I speak for many when I say best wishes for a speedy recovery on the knee replacment.

Shawn
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for keeping us informed. Maybe you'll be able to take a trip with Sequoia and do some photography together.
Piece of cake.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Mike,I've been aware, as all of us have, of your battles and have always wished you the best in your healing process, but I am so touched by your honesty. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Rosabella wrote:Mike,I've been aware, as all of us have, of your battles and have always wished you the best in your healing process, but I am so touched by your honesty. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Dito that. I just don't have the words, buddy...

ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

Mike,

I can only echo what Rosabella wrote and offer my prayers and best wishes to you.

Harry
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

What everyone else said. . . thanks for the update. Good luck with the surgery!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Thanks everybody! I really wasn't planning to go "so deep", but I just started writing and that's what came out. I'm going to try and get my surgery date moved closer...I don't know if I can hang on for another 3 months! I know I can, I just don't want to if I can help it.