Anyone else see this? | High Sierra Topix  

Anyone else see this?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

Re: Anyone else see this?

Postby dave54 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:09 am

Bad Man From Bodie wrote:... Last I checked, all National Parks in the United States of America are located in the Untied States of America...

And that is one of the reasons the rule change was enacted -- to help reduce the 'patchwork quilt' of firearm regulations on public lands. In many cases the various Federal public lands are commingled and intermingled, with no obvious markings on the ground to identify when you walk from one to the other.

Before: National Parks no guns.
National Wildlife Refuges Some OK, some not, depends on hunting season
National Forests firearms OK, follow local law
BLM public lands firearms OK, follow local law
COE, BOR lands firearms OK with a few exceptions, follow local laws.

Now: Follow local laws regardless of which Federal public lands you are standing on.

The 'Now' makes more sense and is easier for the owner of the public lands to stay legal.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

dave54
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby gdurkee » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:38 pm

gdurkee
Founding Member

Postby dave54 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:10 pm

Other websites discussing this topic also have posted her piece.

The editors of the Chronicle, and evidently diane herself, fail to realize that outside the narrow enclaves of the bay area diane feinstein has zero credibility. Around here both her and comrade boxer are said to be the Senators from San Francisco. They do not represent the rest of the state.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Postby gdurkee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:16 pm

Umm, not to put too fine a point on it, but they both won statewide elections a number of times. You'd need more than just Bay Area support to do that. In addition, like it or not, both hold important Committee posts -- and influence -- in the Senate. Thus, an opinion piece from Feinstein carries both authority and weight.

g.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Postby Bad Man From Bodie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 am

dave54 wrote: Around here both her and comrade boxer are said to be the Senators from San Francisco. They do not represent the rest of the state.

:D :D :D :) :thumbsup: :partyman: :clapper =D> ;) ;) :partyman: :unibrow: :nod:

Yep.....that's awesome.....I like the comrade part the best!
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Postby gdurkee » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:54 pm

I like the comrade part the best!

OH! Me too! You have no idea how lonely it's been since my Soviet masters stopped taking my calls. When they finally did, they said they couldn't help me overthrow the spawn of Capitalist Insects oppressing the brave workers of our country, but would I be interested in an Internationale ring tone for my phone?

Jeez. Then I called my Chinese masters. All they wanted to do was offload a few cases of Mao action figures on me -- remaindered, but guaranteed to float in the Yangtze.

So that just left my old buddy Fidel to reminisce about the good old days when the Evil Empire threatened the world, but that guy just talks forever. He spent most of his time chuckling about how he's outlasted 7 US Presidents -- several of whom tried to actually kill him. Then he suggested maybe it would make a great kid's cartoon -- He wanted to play the Roadrunner. Beep, beep.

What's a committed revolutionary to do? Wait! Yes, of course, the notorious Comrade Feinstein. But she's tied up in a recording studio when I call:

I'm no-tor-i-ous Comrade Feinstein
and I'm here to represent
want yo' guns, want yo' money
give illegals a big present

Don't care 'bout your fishies
i just feed 'em to my posse
keep froggies from croakin'
Got Rules, Judiciary, Appropriations, In-tell-i-gence
no jokin', voters lovin', keep electin'
representin', representin'
no worries, no worries

I'm rock up DiFi, Comrade Queen of the Senate
You got fish bones, you got fish bones
Choke on 'em. Heh.

(I'll never get a job writing for Tina Fey now).

g.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Postby Bad Man From Bodie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:25 pm

OH! Me too! You have no idea how lonely it's been since my Soviet masters stopped taking my calls. When they finally did, they said they couldn't help me overthrow the spawn of Capitalist Insects oppressing the brave workers of our country, but would I be interested in an Internationale ring tone for my phone?

Thats funny too :partyman: Nice work.......It takes all kinds of us now doesnt it :partyman:

Happy New Year!!!!
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Postby BSquared » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:22 pm

George, it's time to get outside, thumb or no thumb! Sheesh.... :p

-B2
BSquared
Founding Member

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby gdurkee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:01 am

I like to call it Fusion Rap (a fusion of bad wine and no rhyme).

Also, I think rap is supposed to give voice to the inchoate pain from the artist's formative years -- thus the subtle reference (which you may be the only one here old enough to remember) that a photo of Mao swimming the Yangtze MAY HAVE BEEN FAKED! The question haunts me still.

Mere skiing when I am consumed by the rapture of rap? Oh, if you insist... .

g.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Postby BSquared » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:16 pm

BSquared
Founding Member

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby gdurkee » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Answered Prayers: the only thing that would improve the photo would be to be surrounded by tiny Esther Williams'. Who knew Chinese herbal remedies extended to smoking the herb?

g.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Postby gdurkee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:23 am

Allow me to bring us, briefly, back on topic:

PRESS RELEASE:
National Parks Conservation Association and the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
January 6, 2009

PARKS ADVOCATES FILE LAWSUIT TO KEEP LOADED, CONCEALED FIREARMS OUT OF NATIONAL PARKS

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The nation’s leading voice for America’s national parks, the nonprofit National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA) and the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees today filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court that seeks an injunction against enforcement of the Bush Administration’s new regulation allowing loaded, concealed firearms in national parks—increasing the risk to visitors, park staff, and wildlife—and to have the new rule declared unlawful. The rule is scheduled to take effect this Friday, January 9.

“In a rush to judgment, as a result of political pressure, the outgoing Administration failed to comply with the law, and did not offer adequate reasons for doing so,” said NPCA President Tom Kiernan.

The Bush Administration last month finalized a National Rifle Association-driven rule change to allow loaded, concealed firearms in all national parks except those located in two states: Wisconsin and Illinois, which do not permit concealed weapons. The former rule, put in place by the Reagan Administration, required that firearms transported through national parks be safely stowed and unloaded.

“Our members, with over 20,000 years accumulated experience managing national parks can see absolutely no good coming from the implementation of this rule. More guns equal more risk,” said Bill Wade, Chair of the Executive Council of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, and former superintendent of Shenandoah National Park, Virginia. “Apparently, the Bush Administration chose to ignore the outpouring of concern voiced during the public comment period,” added Wade.

According to the lawsuit, the Department of the Interior “adopted the Gun Rule with unwarranted haste, without following procedures required by law and without the consideration of its consequences that they are required to observe under law… The new regulation is an affront to the National Parks’ missions and purposes and a threat to the National Parks’ resources and values, which must be held unlawful and set aside.”

The groups are arguing that the rule is unlawful because the Department of the Interior did not conduct an analysis of the rule’s environmental effects, as required by the National Environmental Policy Act, including the effects of the rule on threatened and endangered species. The suit also argues that the Department of the Interior ignored the National Park Service Organic Act, and the Administrative Procedure Act.

“Any reasonable person would have to conclude that changing these rules to allow more firearms in the national parks could have an environmental impact on park wildlife and resources,” Kiernan added.

In a letter sent to Interior Secretary Kempthorne on April 3, seven former directors of the National Park Service stated that there is no need to change the regulations. “In all our years with the National Park Service, we experienced very few instances in which this limited regulation created confusion or resistance,” the letter stated. “There is no evidence that any potential problems that one can imagine arising from the existing regulations might overwhelm the good they are known to do.”

The rule also was opposed by the current career leadership of the National Park Service and other park management professionals, including the Association of National Park Rangers and the Ranger Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police.

The public agrees: of the 140,000 people who voiced their opinion on this issue during the public comment period, 73 percent opposed allowing loaded, concealed firearms in the parks.

The National Parks Conservation Association and Coalition of National Park Service Retirees are represented by Hogan & Hartson.
gdurkee
Founding Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Campfire