Bear vs man, gun barely helps

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bear vs man, gun barely helps

Post by hikerduane »

This was a story in our local paper this last week. This guy may need a bigger caliber rifle or needs to be a better shot. May have been a good thing the bear wasn't too big. This took place in the Lakes Basin area close to where I live in Plumas County. http://www.plumasnews.com/news_story.edi?sid=6956
Piece of cake.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Bear vs man, gun barely helps

Post by oldranger »

Isn't it strange that the article refers to a bear attack? Who attacked whom? Frankly its nice to see the hunted get a few "shots" in. I'm not "anti-hunting" but don't hunt myself. I enjoy seeing my wildlife living. I've been known to talk to bears but they never stick around to carry on a conversation. I do fish so I don't consider myself any different than a hunter and I'll eat venison or elk any time I have the opportunity.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Yes. I guess they went back to look for the bear, as it was supposed to be dead, wanting to make sure I guess so it wouldn't attack anyone.
Piece of cake.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I've done some solo off-trail trips in that area. Never had any real concerns about black bears before. Now I wonder...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Dave,

I wouldn't worry unless you are planning on shooting and wounding a bear.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

wow! :eek:

I never feel threatened by animals. I usually go after them with the camera and they take off, bears included. Gotta get photos!

One kangaroo here stood up and tried to look big. I started laughing and he backed down. Last weekend we got close to a Koala climbing down a gum tree and petted it. On our backpack trip we petted wombats, even though the ones at the zoo "bite" according to the sign.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Fours year ago, when I did the South Lake, North Lake loop thru Evolution Valley, I had a chipmunk make a run at me, while I was reading, with my back to a rock. It pretty much surprised me, but I saw it heading my way out of the corner of my eye, so I went, haw! It changed direction in a hurry. I didn't know if it was attacking or what.:) One of the bears that comes thru our neighborhood, doesn't get too ruffled when you shine a light on him or open a door. I'm surprised Cori that the koala let you pet it, I had heard that their temperment isn't like how cuddly they look.
Piece of cake.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

That chipmunk story reminds me that I once had a squirrel make a run at me in my backyard (in Los Angeles)! And this happened more than once. I was worried that it might be rabid so I went out and bought an air rifle. Amazingly, never having shot a gun before, I nailed it on my first shot. I felt just like Sarah Palin (minus the helicopter). :)
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

When Pooch was still alive, I got run over by a squirrel one morning, sleeping in, out in the open at Faucherie, north of 80. Squirrels all around that morning, chattering away, I could hear the thing crossing the ground, it jumped on my side, since I was laying that way, jumped off and kept going as I was in its line of travel. I lay there laughing, Pooch, getting old, missed it all.
Piece of cake.
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

I agree whole-heartedly with oldranger. That was not a bear attack. It was a bear defending itself. Maybe next time he'll be sure to kill with the first shot. Maybe he'll quit hunting altogether. I used to hunt and even went bear hunting one year. I never saw one and am glad I didn't now that I'm older and wiser. Like Snowy, I shoot them with a camera.

Maybe he should buy a SPOT? Oh no, here we go again with the whole SPOT argument. :D

Baff