It's a small cyberworld

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Telkwa
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

It's a small cyberworld

Post by Telkwa »

A coupla days ago my wife and I were starting the climb from Glacier Lake to Glacier Pass (Eagle Cap Wilderness, NE Oregon) when we stopped to talk with a nice couple coming down from the pass. Somehow we touched on the Internet and he mentioned Hi-Sierra Topix. One thing lead to another. Turns out he's oldranger and I'd talked with him on this forum about Eagle Cap last year.

We laughed and shook hands and introduced ourselves.

Anyone else meet someone from the forums on the trail?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: It's a small cyberworld

Post by gary c. »

I ran into a couple of guys two weeks ago in the Little Lakes Valley that I had met before through another site. We had exchanged posts on the other site and ended up fishing the Bishop area together. On my last backpacking trip I had just set up camp and decided to go down to the lake to fill the water bottles. I was very surprised to run into someone I had just recently met several miles into the backcountry.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Telkwa
It sure is a small world. And it was good to meet you! We had a great trip. I caught 2 16" + rainbows the next day an a bunch of brookies for dinner Friday night. We hiked all the way out Sunday rather than pretending we were having fun in the blustery cold wind and light snow that hit us on sunday. I'm barely recovered and getting ready to head down to the Sierra for a Sawmill to Taboose trip with my cousin that I haven't seen in like 25 years.

While you are my first cyber contact in the field I have met people I contacted as a ranger in SEKI on top of South Sister and when skiing at Mt. Bachelor. Last summer I met two people I knew from SEKI as I was going into Southern Yosemite. One was a the daughter of the packer in the area I patrolled. She asked me how the little girl was doing that rode my little mule. I said she's doing just fine. She is 25, just married and here she is! It is always a joy to meet and remeet acquaintances from the mountains. It seem once a mountain person always a mountain person and the Sierra has a pull on me to return year after year.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

Oldranger, do I remember you saying that you were the Rowell Meadow ranger for awhile or am I mistaken? I was hiking through Rowell Meadow in the late 1980's or the early 1990's as I recall and I chatted with the ranger for awhile and we ended up sharing dinner and I spent the night. I seem to remember he had a galvanized washtub for water storage...

Alan
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Cloudy

I was at Rowell in 82-3 and Roaring River from 84-90.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

oldranger wrote:Cloudy
I was at Rowell in 82-3 and Roaring River from 84-90.
Mike
Heh, I was through both areas several times during that time frame so I may have actually run into you :) Speaking of trail meetings, I was walking up the High Sierra Trail a couple of years ago and walked past a lone hiker and we chatted for a minute or two. He says "You sure look familiar" and he also looked familar to me. It turns out that several years before, I had been at the top of Forester Pass and decided to make soup for lunch. A couple of people showed up a little while later and I offered to share my soup with them (which they declined) but this gentleman happened to be one of those folks and he remembered that act...

Alan
Telkwa
Topix Acquainted

Post by Telkwa »

Hey, oldranger -
Good to hear from you. We walked out Saturday morning. As we were going past Horseshoe Lake, fog was welling up from the valley floor. But the weather seemed to improve as the day went by. We ran into several parties going in. Only one mentioned the possibility of snow Sunday and I dismissed it. Patti wanted to pull out Saturday, not me, and I've been giving her grief for the last few days, saying that we shoulda stayed. Now I'll have to tell her that it DID snow Sunday.

Have fun in Tahoe area!!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

I've hiked with a few of the HST members here, but they were all planned trips. About 5 years ago at Chilnualna Falls in Yosemite somebody recognized me from my website. I thought that was kinda cool!