Missing Hiker

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SierraVisions
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Missing Hiker

Post by SierraVisions »

Hey guys,
I received this email today through my site and wanted to relay it to you guys in case anyone would happen to have any info on this hiker.

Here's the email;

Dear Steve,
I have a missing family friend named Rick Devan. He is an
experienced hiker/rock climber. He left his wife and daughter on the
hiking trail on Fri. to spend the night and continue his hike. He is
24 hrs. over due. His wife Vicky and daughter are in Bishop as is my
son Mike and daughter-in-law Shannon. Rick is Shannon’s brother. If
there are any volunteers in the area that could help in the search
for Rick we would be so greatful. You could contact the local
authorities if you have any help to offer we all would be eternally
grateful. I am in Salem, OR. with an ailing Mom right now or I would
be there too. I saw you web page on the internet. Thanks so much. I
would appreciate any info on the area also.
Best regards,
Sharon Cheffins. San Juan Capistrano CA.

If anyone has any info on this man, please contact Inyo County S&R.
I will try to keep up to date on this through my site SierraVisions.com. There is also a post started on SummitPost.org in regards to this search. Here is the link to that post. http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 54c6a32a76
Thanks guys.
Steven
SierraVisions
Founding Member

Re: Missing Hiker

Post by SierraVisions »

Here is the latest on the search for missing hiker Rick DeVan. This is from the local Bishop Radio and TV Station, Sierra Wave.

In the Sierra above Bishop, the search continues for a hiker reported missing on July Fourth.

On this fourth day of search operations, rescuers planned to return to the back country near Bishop Pass to look for the missing man.

The plan was to spend the night of Third by himself, hike up Mt. Goode, traverse the ridge to Mt. Johnson, then head down to meet up with his wife and daughter at Treasure Lakes on the Fourth. When DeVan failed to show up at Treasure Lakes on the Fourth, his family members reported him missing.

Inyo Search and Rescue volunteers, along Mono County SAR and China Lake Mountain Rescue Team members have searched the area since Saturday but by last report had not found the missing man. Deputies report that DeVan did sign the summit register on Mt. Goode, stating that he planned to traverse to Mt. Johnson.

The Inyo Sheriff’s Department is looking for people who may have seen the missing man hiking on Thursday the Third, and Friday the Fourth in the Bishop Pass area. DeVan is said to have been wearing a yellow shirt with black side panels, tan pants, light colored back pack, grey jacket with black trim, a beige or green ball cap, and an orange, gold, and purple National Geographic bandanna. DeVan also had a Khaki one person tent.

If you were hiking near Bishop Pass on Friday the Fourth of July, and you saw someone who fits this description call the Inyo Sheriff’s Department at 873-7887 or 878- 0383.
sharoncheffins
Topix Novice

Post by sharoncheffins »

[-o< PLEASE HELP SEARCH FOR RIC!!!!
I have a missing family friend named Ric Devan. He is an experienced hiker/rock climber. He left his wife and daughter on the hiking trail on Fri. 4th of July to spend the night and continue his hike. His wife Vicky and daughter are in Bishop, as are my son Mike and daughter-in-law Shannon. Ric is Shannon's brother. If there are any volunteers in the area that could help in the search for Ric we would be so greatful. You could contact the local authorities if you have any help to offer, we all would be eternally grateful. The official search and rescue teams are going to scale back their search after tomarrow.I am in Salem, OR. with an ailing Mom right now or I would be there too. Thanks so much to you all for all the prayers and support [-o<
Best regards,
Sharon Cheffins. San Juan Capistrano CA. via Salem, OR.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Copied from summitpost from Sharon:

Hello All,
I just spoke with Shannon, Ric's sister. The search team has found what they suspect is Ric's backpack. They are taking it down the mountain as I write to be identified by Vickie, Ric's wife. If it is in fact Ric's it does not bode well. It was found on a class 2 trail near Mt. Goode that gave way to a poosible 400 ft drop. We will know more in the morning when the area near the find can be searched more throughly. It's not impossible and miracles do happen but it has been 12 days and 400 ft is a long way. Miracles DO happen and we are all still praying for the best.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

From SummitPost, by way of the Whitney board:

From Summitpost.org:

Originally Posted By: jeffh

Hello everyone. I am passing along information that was provided to us by the family this morning. The pack was confirmed to be Ric's. Another hiker also confirmed that a rock slide occurred in the area around the time Ric was there. The search has been cancelled. The sheriff's department is now conducting a recovery effort.

On behalf of Ric's co-workers, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for your help, suggestions, prayers, and thoughts during this very difficult time. As you can tell, Ric was a beloved and respected friend who contributed so much to us and to the community of San Diego. He is, and will be, sorely missed.
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

I climbed Chocolate Peak today and ran into 4 SAR guys at the TH. They mentioned they had received a clue and were on their way. I watched a chopper make numerous fly by's thoughout the morning, paying particular attention to the south side of Goode. My sympathy goes out to his family and friends.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

They found his body. More info in the Backpacking forum.