Gas Prices: Affecting Your Sierra Nevada Travel?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

What affect have gas prices had on the number of times you'll visit the Sierra Nevada this year?

Poll ended at Fri May 02, 2008 8:08 am

No Affect. My plans will not change.
48%
10%-20% fewer trips
22%
30%-40% fewer trips
4%
50%-60% fewer trips
4%
70%-80% fewer trips
No votes
I've canceled all planned trips
No votes
No affect. I didn't have any trips planned to begin with
4%
Other (please explain)
17%

Total votes: 23

markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Gas Prices: Affecting Your Sierra Nevada Travel?

Post by markskor »

On my month-long summer trip I was going to come home in the middle...check the mail, pay some bills, mow the lawn.
Figuring this will cost me $125 just to turn around again in 2 days...screw the lawn. I'll just pay a neighbor kid $25 to do a quick mow...spend the rest on beer and dinners at the TPR.
Mountainman who swims with trout
vaughnm
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by vaughnm »

The only change for my is that I'll be driving the Prius more instead of my Tundra.
So, when the wife picks my friend and I up at Whitney Portal, it will be a little crowded in the back seat (the two labs have to sit somewhere!)

Mike
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I do not intend to reduce the number of days I spend on the trail, but many of the day hikes will most likely be in areas closer to home than they might have been @ $3.50 per.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Glad to see the doggies get to come along for a ride. I have been busy around my place again this Spring and I am about to wrap the wood cutting up, all five cords. I can work some weekend trips in on my drive home from work out of state sometimes, just a little out of the way. Oh yeah, gas in town is $4.62 and $4.79 or $4.89 in the next small town over. I'm glad my Civic gets 39-40 mpg. I still have a vacation bp trip planned in July down 395 to South Lake.
Piece of cake.
lateone
Topix Newbie

Post by lateone »

when you have to go somewhere unless totally broke people tend to go...regardless price of gas
I LIKE ANIMALS...THEY TASTE LIKE MEAT
vegetables ...they're what dinner eats.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

After a couple of years of resisting I finally succumbed and started riding the bus to work. It adds about an hour per day (an extra 1/2 hour each way), but when I calculated I was spending $300 per month in fuel just commuting to and from work, I decided it was worth it (the most recent gas price hikes would make it $330 now). A monthly bus pass is $45.

This leaves more money for the weekends and with my sweetie.

I recently got back from Oregon where the prices just broke $4. And they pump it for you. Of course, the truck was getting just over 7 MPG towing the beast...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=