Survival in the Sierras

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Strider
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Survival in the Sierras

Post by Strider »

:snipe: With the economy collapsing around our ears, what is the feasibility of riding out the gangs of marauders by hightailing it to the high country? How long could you survive, and what would you need to bring? How many people could the wilderness support, and what contingencies are already in place to keep the excess people away? Just curious.
'Hike long and perspire'
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Survival in the Sierras

Post by The Other Tom »

Well...let me think about this a minute. I could probably survive in the summer months. I'd probably freeze in the winter. I've read that there are several barrells of food at , say, Red's Meadow, Muir Trail Ranch, etc where hikers jetison their excess food. I'd help myself to that for survival's sake. So, all I'd really need is shelter. :paranoid:
Seriously, though, it's always darkest before the storm. The economy moves in cycles. What goes up will come down, and vice-versa. Sit tight until after the election. :D