You have to check this out!!!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

You have to check this out!!!

Post by mountaineer »

Last Wednesday, I learned that someone I knew was lost/stranded near Lake Italy. I made a quick post here and almost immediately learned from Skibum that he had been found and all was well. I posted on our local newspaper website that he had been found. Today, the editor of that same newspaper(About 100k+ circulation) mentioned my post in her editorial. Here is the post and the link follows. HST is pretty cool.

Just before 10 a.m. Wednesday, a reader posted a comment on our Web site story about missing Cambrian hiker Charlie Hench, saying that he had been found. No one in our newsroom had heard yet, but a quick call to the Fresno Sheriff’s Department confirmed that it was true. As a result, we were the first media outlet to break the good news — and provide an update to all those who cared about Hench.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/edito ... ecent_comm
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Alls well that ends well. Glad your friend made it out. I was looking at Topozone and the north face of Mt. Julius Caesar looks real steep. I could see how in a snow storm it would be real easy to get lost, think you're somewhere that you're not, and fall practically to your death. The fact that your friend fell twice (that's according to the news story in Sierra Wave, I may be wrong) and only broke his wrist is truly a miracle. Definitely a warning to the rest of us to be extra careful when cross countrying alone and in bad weather.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

He wasn't really a friend, just someone I knew. I think where he made his mistake is trying to continue on over from Lake Italy after/during the storm. When the weather went south, he should have headed back down towards Edison...he probably would have been okay then. It would be easy for him to get disoriented after a dusting of snow, especiallyin that area.

He had a few chipped discs in his back, a broken wrist, and mild hypothernmia. Pretty lucky, considering...
oldraven
Topix Novice

Post by oldraven »

Scary.
Very lucky person.