Fall colors yet?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

That sure is early for the leaves to drop.

Dave, only a little dusting of snow here. Early snows and late season snow with leaves on trees still sure takes its toll. I lost 10' off the top of my most beautiful fall color maple last year. Over half its height gone. I had to pick my apples, the bears were breaking off limbs to get to the apples.
Piece of cake.
Bob B
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Bob B »

ifernau, thanks for the update. Wow, I'm bummed. I think I'll still go, but I guess hikes down the lower elevations of the creek will be in order. I'll post shots when I get back.

Bob
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

mountaineer wrote:How is lower Rock Creek along the trail?

How about the Lower Owens area? I couldn't get time off until the 19th and I am wondering if any colors will be left anywhere.
I have not been to the lower rock creek, but will try to check it out tomorrow. I am in Bishop until Sunday 10/14 hence with the leaves past peak in the upper elevation I have more time to travel around the lower parts.
Round Valley looks really good with the trees turning bright yellow.
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

There was some color along the 120, by Sagehen Peak (9,191'), but even that got snow. Image

I was passing by the June Lake Loop Friday and noticed color on the hills so I drove the Parker Lake road, then the June Lake Loop in a storm. My camera was doing wierd things, and I ended up deleting over 50 photos (too dark to save)

Parker Lake road:

Parker Lake road:

June Lake Loop:

Road day trip on Fri, 5 Oct 2007: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/3610657#205548758
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

Tuesday 10/9 - Well there is color left in the Eastern Sierra. First though leaves were blowing across the streets and trails today – windy.
Lower Rock Creek Road/Trail has a few stands at peak and others are still green. The trail along the lower Rock Creek goes into some groves that are ablaze. I spotted very few brown/black leaves. It must have not been that cold down in this canyon.
Hilton Creek Trail is at peak and absolute gorgeous even with a few brown leaves.
Aspens between Four Jeffery Campground and Mountain Glen Campground (South Fork Bishop Creek) are putting on a show despite of the black leaves.
One grove before Aspendell is still very nice and Aspendell is turning more yellow.
The first 4 miles of Rock Creek Canyon (a little past Big Meadow campground) has lots of color with some of the stands still green.
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Thanks for the reports...I still have a glimmer of hope for the 19th-21st.

Nymph..this is an outstanding shot...I love it!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks, Jody! The colors out there were awesome, but it was getting dark. Should have gotten there earlier!

My camera was acting up, so I lost a lot of photos. I think I need a new one. I've got two S80s now that need to go to the shop, and I'm using the S70 for now. :(
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

The reason I like that one so much is the dreary, forboding storm clouds...in contrast with the brilliant fall colors. I think it makes a more unique shot than the typical bright colors illuminated by sunlight.

Parker Lake Rd....are you talking about the dirt road for us mere mortals to access the trail that allows us to hike in over the ridge or the road that the rich folks use to get up there?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

A friend and up hiked up Parker Lake trail last Sunday morning. I expected the aspen were going to be mostly baked due to the winds and cold storm but Mount Wood looked so aesthetic with snow instead of its usual dark shadowy cliffs that we gambled. The above is a Coolpix shot of Mount Wood from that area I also pointed my view camera at exposing a couple sheets of film. Taint near the trail haha as we always seem to ramble crosscountry hunting secret goods. After returning to the trailhead he drove off down the dirt road as he had to return to the SF Bay Area while I lingered a couple minutes before I would head south to Bishop. Then I followed down the road and when I saw the aspen grove in your picture, SnowNymph, decided to drive up into the grove on a short dirt road not on the map. Soon as I did my friend's car appeared driving towards me as he apparently had the same idea haha. The stream inside all your aspens flows out of the main Mount Wood grove. In the past I parked down here on the Parker trail road and hiked a half mile or so along the stream hunting for good trees. ...David
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Nice shot Dave!

I suppose though by next Friday I won't have much luck. :(