Fall colors yet? | High Sierra Topix  

Fall colors yet?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

Fall colors yet?

Postby george » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:21 pm

Any fall colors (especially aspens) yet in the Eastern Sierra? If not, how long from now, do you think?

george
Topix Newbie

Experience: N/A

Postby dave54 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:49 pm

Maples in my yard just now starting to turn.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Postby Snow Nymph » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:34 am

Not the Sierra, but the aspens in the Glass Mountains were yellow, and some were orange. Its the mountain ridge located inthe Owens Valley, east of Mammoth, and west of the White Mountains.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Postby maverick » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:43 am

Hi George

Go to calphoto and click on enter, then click on fall foliage hotsheet
and you'll get update info on the Sierra and beyond.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby quentinc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:09 pm

That is a good site.

10 days ago, there were yellowing aspens at Silver Lake (June Lake loop). But I think it was more from the dryness than anything else -- they were trending towards brown rather than orange. Usually dry winters do not produce good fall foliage.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Postby Skibum » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:07 am

I was in the Southlake area on Sept 18-20 and the Aspens were just starting to turn. After that cold front came through, I would think they are pretty nice right around now.
Skibum
Founding Member

Postby CSF » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:28 pm

Hey George. Here's a color update I posted last sat.(9/24) Probably another week or two and things will be very golden I'd think. You can also check out the fall color report posted by the Bishop Chamber of Commerce's website here.
CSF
Topix Acquainted

Postby ifernau » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:35 pm

You can get updates from here:
http://calphoto.com/fall.htm
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/
ifernau
Topix Regular

Postby Bob B » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:22 am

Hello all,
I'm planning on going up to Bishop Creek next week and camping out for around 5 days. I was curious if the recent winds took much of a toll on the fall leaves. I'm planning on doing day hikes and a lot of photography. I'll be camping just outside of Aspendell. Thanks for any info.
Bob B
Topix Novice

Postby dave54 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Majorly bummed!! Almost crying. :crybaby:

After years of work landscaping and carefully nurturing my trees, and several years of less than stellar autumns, I finally had a riot of colors this year -- reds, purples, oranges exploding all over my yard. My neighbors were all coming over to comment on how great it looked. I was going to post some pictures here.

Then -- 3 inches of wet sloppy snow Thursday night. Broken branches all over and leaves mostly down. Spent the last two days cleaning up. Now I have a yard full of barren skeletal remnants.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Postby ifernau » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:23 pm

Bishop Creek only has a few spots with color left as of today 10/7. The Aspen at North Lake are bare or have black leaves. Everything above Aspendell is done. Aspendell and Cardinal pond still have some color. Still they also have some black leaves.

The area around Bishop Creek Lodge still has color, but also some black leaves. Anything past the Mountain Glen Campground is bare or has ugly black leaves.

I was really shocked today to see this many trees with black leaves. The snow, the cold and the wind really did a job.

I was going to be content with shooting colorful leaves on the ground, but that not happening either.
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/
ifernau
Topix Regular

Postby mountaineer » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:40 pm

How is lower Rock Creek along the trail?

How about the Lower Owens area? I couldn't get time off until the 19th and I am wondering if any colors will be left anywhere.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Next

Return to The Campfire